DE backing up into pool after shutdown.

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
kroke2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool is 17ft x 34ft. graduates from 3ft to 5ft. It is screened in. I have a 2 1/2 hp motor operating a Jandy Ei salt chlorinator and 10 panels for solar heating. I use DE in the system filter. The filter fins are about 6 months old. The pump is about 9 months old. I have a Hayward pool cleaner.

Postby kroke2 » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 14:39

I have a crawling Hayward pool cleaner in my pool. I have been told that in order for it to operate properly I must close my main drain and my skimmer valve should only be open partially. Is this correct? If not then what is correct? I am also having a problem with dirty DE flowing back into the pool when the system shuts down. I have ten solar panels on my roof top. What could be causing the backup of DE into my pool?

DivinePoolsAZ
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DivinePoolsAZ » Mon 16 Apr, 2012 21:46

Hello kroke2,

To answer your question about the DE flowing back into the pool.
Based on the information provided:

Air leak or a suction leak.

Question.

Does the DE flowing back into the pool happen over a period of time or right away?

Divinepoolsaz.com

[Divinepoolsaz.com/url]
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Sun 20 May, 2012 15:14

It's probably as simple as a pin-hole in one or more of your filter grids. Open your filter, remove the grids and hose them off. Carefully inspect them for holes. Even very tiny ones can cause an amount of DE to get through. If you find one/some, you can repair them with PVC glue. If there are larger rips, replce the grid.
As far as how much to close your suction lines and which ones to close, play with different settings until you are getting the performance desired from your cleaner and your skimmers.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”