Did not back wash new sand filter before turning on pump

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
bobby1212

Postby bobby1212 » Wed 02 May, 2012 07:31

I did not back wash new sand filter with Zeobright before putting filter in filter position. Water is cloudy! What damage have I done?

Thanks,

Ron

bobby1212

Postby bobby1212 » Wed 09 May, 2012 15:08

Thanks for all the input!
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 12 May, 2012 21:14

** double major facepalm **
:wtf:

Oh man, where do I begin... Well, the good news is you can get your pool crystal clear again, the bad news is there's going to be a good amount of work involved. I'm a swimming pool professional and I've heard within the industry circle of other pool services that have accidently done the same thing with Zeobrite. The advice I am giving you is the straight dope, where everything else has been tried, but it eventually came down to draining the pool. Yes, you heard me correctly, the pool will have to be drained, hosed down and rinsed with water until every particle of Zeobrite is completely removed from the pool surface. You will have to hose that pool down until you've cornered all of the remaining Zeobrite dust to the bottom of the pool where you will need to drag a wet/dry shop vac to the bottom of the pool and vacuum out every last puddle of dust particles.

Once you get your pool refilled and straightened out again, if you haven't been instructed, I'm letting you know at this time, Zeobrite needs to be cleaned every swimming pool season. Zeobrite does not work like sand, it gums up over time and your pool begins to turn green. That also means it gums up with water clarifiers and liquid algaecides. Anything pool additive that traps into the filter will gum up Zeobrite. I recommend a product called Bio-Dex Zeo Filter Cleaner. Follow the instructions on the bottle to the letter and you will enjoy many fun filled summer pool seasons. Don't forget to backwash/backflush the filter when the pressure builds up and you'll be ok
:thumbup:
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Sun 20 May, 2012 14:42

A clarifier or flocculant should be able to clear things up for you.
You won't need to drain, in my experience.
Turn off the pump for a day to let everything settle on the bottom then vacuum it back into the filter, it's just dust. If you can see it, the filter should be able to remove it.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”