Chemical confusion!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
NEWBIE POOLOWNER

Chemical confusion!

Postby NEWBIE POOLOWNER » Thu 09 Aug, 2012 11:14

Ok - I remember our above ground pool from childhood - we had a DE filter and all the chemicals I remember my Dad adding were powered chlorine and possibly baking soda, now I have about 6 different kinds of stuff to change the water levels and am totally confused!!! THE PROBLEM is that I have been testing my pool since early June and within a few weeks of crazy results finally got it stabilized after using a stabilizer/conditioner. Everything was fine until the water temp remained at 90 degrees F for weeks and then got very low or no chlorine lvls, pH too high or low, alkalinity too high or low (I assume connected to pH) Cyanuric acid level remained good. Then got cloudy water, now green tint, added algaecide and it's foamy and the water feels slippery. I have been adding products from big box store. Is it time to got to pool store? I have a 15X48 vinyl pool with metal framing and orig cartridge filter. HELP and Thanks!!! :D

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Chemical confusion!

Postby chem geek » Fri 10 Aug, 2012 10:48

Shock the pool by adding chlorinating liquid or 6% unscented bleach. The increase in chlorine demand and the cloudiness was algae starting to grow. Your Free Chlorine (FC) level got too low relative to your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level and allowed algae to grow. Read the [/url]http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/Pool School[/url] for more info on how to properly maintain your pool.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”