Pool Myths Debunked

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
DohenysPoolSupplies
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Doheny's is a pool supply company that's dedicated to customer service. We ship your chemical and pool equipment needs to you lightning fast!

Pool Myths Debunked

Postby DohenysPoolSupplies » Thu 11 Oct, 2012 13:24

5 Common Swimming Pool Tales Debunked

Doheny's Pool Supplies has a list of the top 5 myths that you may not know:

1) Chlorine is what turns your blond hair green. Contrary to popular belief, high levels of copper in your pool water are actually what turn your light-hued hair green, not chlorine. Copper is an ingredient in most pool algaecides. Copper does not dissolve or break down, and high levels of copper will cause staining on pool walls and floor once the water has reached its saturation point. Maintaining proper pH and sanitizer levels in your pool can also be crucial in preventing algae buildup in the first place, so be sure to frequently test your swimming pool’s water chemistry.

2) You cannot swim for an hour after eating. Although Doheny’s doesn’t recommend eating a large meal before swimming, the likelihood of getting a cramp and drowning as a result of food before entering the pool is extremely low. Parents everywhere may enjoy an hour of peace and relaxation poolside; however, eating a snack or a reasonably-sized meal before pool time is generally not lethal. In fact, you are more likely to die of accidental drowning from fatigue and exhaustion. Use common sense and eat in moderation before exercising in the pool, and remember to stay hydrated even though you are in the water!

3) I don’t need to shower first because chlorine will kill any bacteria on my skin. Skipping the shower before the pool is not a good idea even though chlorine is an effective disinfectant...especially if it’s your own swimming pool! Shampoo, conditioner, lotion, sunblock, perfume, body waste and cosmetics can leave behind residue which binds with chlorine and causes the formation of chloramines. Chloramines are what cause the stinky pool odor and are the main cause of skin and eye irritation. Always shower before entering the pool!

4) My swimming pool looks clean, so my pool water must be bacteria-free. Microorganisms are small and completely invisible to the eye. Your pool may appear to be clean; however, it is important to check and test pool water for any chemical imbalance. Buildup from hygiene products, lotions and sweat can take days to manifest into cloudy pool water, so be sure to add pool sanitizer regularly and shock treat your swimming pool to eliminate pesky chloramines during the summertime.

5) If you pee in the pool, then everyone will know. There isn’t a miracle chemical that dyes the water red or purple when a child goes to the bathroom in the swimming pool; however, parents and swim coaches have used this scare tactic on kids for years. Doheny's does think it is a pretty effective method for preventing accidents in the pool; however, it is untrue. If this were the case, then you would see a lot of public kiddie pools with crimson-colored pool water! That being said, a clean swimming pool makes for happy swimmers. Doheny’s won’t hold it against you if you keep the lie going for the greater good of swimmers everywhere!

TSH Tech

Pool Myths Debunked

Postby TSH Tech » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 16:44

DohenysPoolSupplies wrote:5) If you pee in the pool, then people will know. There isn’t a miracle chemical that dyes the water....

Sure there is. You just don't know how to mess with kids. Take a clear glass or test vile, grab the Ph test reagent, scoop some pool water up and in front of them, tell them; "If this turns clear, you are ok, but if this turns red, you are all in trouble". Add the drops to the water and watch them squirm.

Maybe later in life as an adult when they own their own pool, they'll figure out they got punked' all those years ago.

Happy swimming :lol:
DohenysPoolSupplies
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Doheny's is a pool supply company that's dedicated to customer service. We ship your chemical and pool equipment needs to you lightning fast!

Pool Myths Debunked

Postby DohenysPoolSupplies » Wed 17 Oct, 2012 11:19

Great idea! :)

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”