Questionable install

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
in_the_basement
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 foot above ground.

Questionable install

Postby in_the_basement » Mon 06 May, 2013 10:35

I have a friend who recently had a pool installed. He says he did not recall seeing any sand go in. So days after he called the installer and asked about that and the installer said that he roto-tilled the ground underneath and found it to be very fine so he felt the sand was not needed. I have never heard of this as being acceptable. Has anyone ever heard of not putting in a base of some sort? Is it OK to just put the pool on top of roto-tilled earth?

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Questionable install

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 06 May, 2013 12:19

You are talking about an above-ground pool, correct? I've never heard of just tilling the ground and dropping a pool on top of it. Even in Florida where some areas have very sandy soil - you still put down at least a few inches of good sand and some bug & weed killer.

Structurally, the pool should be OK without any sand under it. My concern would be for something growing up out of that soil and poking thru the liner.

Was the installer licensed, or was this a side job? If your friend has a contract, check the details. Sometimes a sand bottom is written in the contract, sometimes not. A company I used to work for did sand or vermiculite bottoms, so there was a spot on the contract for the type of pool bottom. If the guy was licensed you might have some recourse. If he wasn't, your friend might be S.O.L. if he has already paid the man.

-CG
in_the_basement
I'm new here
I'm new here

Questionable install

Postby in_the_basement » Mon 06 May, 2013 14:20

The installer was licensed I believe. It was an installer through the store where he bought the pool, Harrows. I have never heard of an installer not putting sand or vermiculite or even other base materials in. It seems very unusual that this installer would not put it there. It's kind of standard that installers put sand under there and it seems that is not just done for fun.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Questionable install

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 06 May, 2013 15:56

If he was working for Harrow's I would be pretty sure that at a minimum he has an occupational license. I agree with you - there should be something for a base/bottom material, be it sand or otherwise. If it were me, I would get some photos and get over to Harrow's asap.

Noticed you are in Deer Park, I lived there for a bit back in the early 90's, right about where Deer Park Ave and Bay Shore Road intersect. I had many meatball slices at Mike's Pizza that was next to the Carvel. Wonder if its still there?

Best of luck to you and your friend, I hope this gets resolved amicably.

-CG
in_the_basement
I'm new here
I'm new here

Questionable install

Postby in_the_basement » Fri 10 May, 2013 08:14

I live on the other side of Deer Park, just off of Commack Rd. right where Pilgrim State Mental Hospital used to be. I figured it would be a shorter trip when the world finally gets the better of me. My friend has pursued this and is getting the install redone. Thanks for your confirmations.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”