using untreated well water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
pooln00bs

using untreated well water

Postby pooln00bs » Sat 08 Jul, 2006 00:03

Hi

We just bought an "Easy Pool" that's 16' by 42" for the kids this summer that we are also using as a test to see if we are able to maintain a pool without going crazy.
Before we waste a lot of time (and money on chemicals) though, we wanted to know if we can use untreated well water for this pool. The well is used strictly for irrigation purposes so that is why it is untreated. The water has a bit of a "rust" smell to it and leaves white spots on surfaces that it splashes on (like on the car). My question is, should I bother treating this water (costly ??) or should I just use the municipal water source and save money in chemical treatment?

Any help would be appreciated

thank-you in advance

PoolN00bs

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Mon 10 Jul, 2006 07:44

don't use well water, too much chemicals and the color will stain. I suggest paying for the water, some might give a discount because your filling a pool, I would call and ask.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
Pooln00bs

thank-you

Postby Pooln00bs » Mon 10 Jul, 2006 09:30

Thanks Walter

I am taking your advice. Being new at this, I don't need those extra worries.

thanks again
KFS

Postby KFS » Tue 03 Oct, 2006 09:57

Probably late for this but we use untreated high iron contect (like 16 ppm??) well water to fill at 16' round "EZ Set" type pool. It CAN be done - but when shocked/chlorinated, the water turns a blood red/orange color. It's wild.

I much prefer to have water delivered.

Postby Guest » Mon 09 Oct, 2006 11:08

you can use well water with no problem IF you treat it right away.

I used some stuff from Leslie's Pool Supply called "METAL FREE", and within 24 hours my pool went from green to crystal clear blue. It just binds the metals and drops them to the floor like dirt, so that you can vacuum or have a auto pool cleaner get them up.

One thing you must do first is control your PH levels.....then treat your metal problem

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”