VIDEO UPLOADEDNew pool owner, air in pump i think,

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Scottyramone
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Scottyramone » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 08:25

I just bought a house with an aboveground pool. I can see water almost to the top in the pump housing when its off, but then i start it the water level in the housing drops to about half full, and the pump dose not run at a constant speed. I have a swim pro sand filter and I think should be opening a air relief vale , but I dont think this filter has one. please help! Aslo i get really good suction form the pool, and when i take the top off the housing water overflows really well out of it. no air bubbles going into pool

Scottyramone
I'm new here
I'm new here

New pool owner, air in pump i think, please help!

Postby Scottyramone » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:31

Sorry for my lack of terminology, but when I put my hand over the part that puts water into the pool, its builds pressure and then the pump fills up more, but there is still some air in the pump housing.then It runs pretty good for a bit, the I can see more air in the water pump, and it dose not run @ a constant flow.Its kind of like its "breathing" Slow flow, then it pushes big flow
Scottyramone
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Scottyramone » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 10:17

Here is a video of what it is doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R01KUUbOGU

Also there is constant small flow of water coming out of the waste valve.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 15:10

Scottyramone,

Looks like your pump is struggling to draw water - A couple things you should look at:

Check the skimmer while the pump is running - if the water level is too low you could be pulling air down the skimmer causing you to keep losing prime. I see what looks like a 3-way valve at the bottom of your skimmer. Looks like it is in the right position but make sure the valve is completely open at the skimmer so you are getting maximum flow.

Get the pump's model number and check out a diagram online. Check the pump's impeller for any clogs or obstructions, that could cause the pump to operate like that.

Make sure the pump lid O ring is in good shape, replace it if needed. Also make sure that pump lid is secured good and tight.

I see some water dripping out of your backwash line - chances are you also have a bad gasket in your filter's multiport valve. That's probably not causing your issue, but that leak will get progressively worse.

If none of that helps, your problem could be in the filter. Set the filter valve to "Recirc" or "Bypass" and see if that improves the suction. If it does, you probably need to change the sand. If your valve doesn't have one of those settings, just set it to "backwash" and see if the pump stays full of water then.

Good luck,

-CG
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 15:13

Scotty,

One other thing I failed to mention - check the fittings that go in and out of the pump. Look for cracks in the pvc, and also the plastic fittings that thread into the pump.

-CG
Addz

Postby Addz » Thu 10 Oct, 2013 03:47

Looks like an odd one. Put the filter handle to "Bypass" or "Reciculate" and see if that fixes it. If so, its a filter issue.
I dont think its a suction leak. Maybe blockage. Id undo the hose and look. If not there, it will be a blockage in the impellar.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”