Buying a house with old pool - really need some advice please!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Clairelg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: It's an old rectangular pool in s house I am buying. No clue about much else!

Buying a house with old pool - really need some advice please!

Postby Clairelg » Sat 07 May, 2016 11:11

Hi everyone.

I have just joined as I have a major pool project and would really appreciate some advice on what is possible.

I am buying a house which has a swimming pool which as you will see from the photos is old and needs draining and a lot of maintenance. My biggest concern is that the edges are raised tiles which I think could be quite dangerous for my kids to fall from getting in and out of the pool. What I'd like to know is can anything be done with this? For example, could the height of the sides of the pool be lowered so they are level with the ground and there is no raised edge? Alternatively, would it be better to raise the height of the patio surrounding the pool?

I also can't see any overflow which I notice on new pools. Would this be a problem?

Apologies for all the questions but have no idea if it would be easier to renovate the existing pool or remove it completely. Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks. Claire
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (400.72 KiB) Viewed 671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (87.71 KiB) Viewed 671 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Sutro_SmartMonitor

Re: Buying a house with old pool - really need some advice please!

Postby Sutro_SmartMonitor » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 14:51

You should check out our smart monitor! I definitely think it's something you're looking for - it will help monitor your pools levels, tell you what needs adjustments, and how to do it, all via an app! That way you aren't spending tons of money on chemicals you don't need, or pool people.

Plus, we're currently inviting new pool owners to join our beta testing program.

http://mysutro.com/pages/sutro-for-new-pool-owners

Let me know if you have any questions!

- Shannon
RonnieCarpenter
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Outdoor pool, size: Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump

Postby RonnieCarpenter » Tue 05 Jul, 2016 10:29

It is important to use new water in standard!!!
Please read more about pool idea here!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 08:42

I also don't like the raised edge round the pool, it would be a trip hazard
What is the pool construction? This would affect the decision to lower it
I would think the best option would be to raise the deck around the pool with timber or similar treated with a non slip surface
By overflow I assume you mean a skimmer. This removes surface debris (leaves etc) It's not necessary for circulation if you have a main drain and returns but nice to have
I do believe there are options to fit one but you would have to find your pool plumbing and the construction of the pool would have to be a cosideration
Bonns
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Always been a fan of the 17' endless pool spa. It even has a water purification system. Just love it.

Postby Bonns » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 04:00

I loved the pool. It looks great. Especially the raised edge.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”