Moved to a house with an old pool, need help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Jospehlewis1

Moved to a house with an old pool, need help

Postby Jospehlewis1 » Sat 28 May, 2016 15:04

So I just moved to a new area, never had a pool before so I'm pretty clueless about maintenance, but I'm learning quickly. This pool seems like the equipment is old so I'm not sure if everything is set right and working correctly. We just opened the pool up, drained and refilled, shocked the pool with several boxes, used a dolphin vac several times, balanced the ph/and chlorine with tabs and 20lbs of soda ash, by then the levels all were somewhat in good range. We used the pool for the first time last weekend and I felt kind of ill for the next few days. Been busy all week Now the pool is all dirty and cloudy again, a squirrel, and then a mouse fell into it and died, several frogs keep getting in it, so been scooping all that out as Ive noticed it.

So my question is , how do I know my pool is 100% safe for swimming? How do I know all the correct valve settings on the equipment because nothing is labeled, the water is cold even though we have a solar heater on the roof and the pump is running. Do I need to do anything with the sand filter or the bromine feeder? I've been putting chlorine tabs straight into the skimmer.. Should I be putting them in the skimmer instead? I don't know how to use any of this stuff, and I would like to have the pool ready by tomorrow. I will try and attach some pics of the equipment and valves.

Sutro_SmartMonitor

Re: Moved to a house with an old pool, need help

Postby Sutro_SmartMonitor » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 14:49

You should check out our smart monitor! I definitely think it's something you're looking for - it will help monitor your pools levels, tell you what needs adjustments, and how to do it, all via an app! That way you aren't spending tons of money on chemicals you don't need, or pool people.

Plus, we're currently inviting new pool owners to join our beta testing program.

http://mysutro.com/pages/sutro-for-new-pool-owners

Let me know if you have any questions!

- Shannon
sammantrao
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55000liter Pool

Postby sammantrao » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 01:59

Wanted to do a bit of DIY. Please tell me if this is possible. Basic garden water timer connected to liquid chlorine drum to dispense chlorine. I wanted to know if the plastic(timer) will withstand liquid chlorine coming out of it and for how long.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Fri 27 Jan, 2017 07:30

Did you install a pool fence?
Mike09
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Mike09 » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 21:06

If you are not confident enough to maintain your pool, it would be best to enlist help from a pool maintenance company first. Then try to observe as much as possible on what they are doing. Also try to educate yourself by reading a lot of DIY pool maintenance. There are also a lot of videos in Youtube.

If you're in the US and need to buy pool supplies, I know of a cool online shop that offers free shipping for inground & above ground swimming pool parts & supplies.
Jeeps
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 2,7K gallons, Gunite. DE filter

Postby Jeeps » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 22:36

Sounds like you may need to contact a local pool service company for a general check up. Even if you do not want service they should be willing to come out for a general once-over.
JoseCan
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We have a fiberglass pool of size 16*32 and has a pebble Tec surface. We have a Jacuzzi pump and a cartridge filter.

Postby JoseCan » Tue 14 Feb, 2017 01:26

You may need to contact a pool service company as Jeeps said. As you've said that squirrels and mouse fell into the pool and died, it may not be safe for you to bath in it. Don't let your kids get into the pools because they may sometime drink the water while playing and it may cause serious health issues. So it will be better to contact a cleaning service or pool service company.
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 00:10

Do not forget to install a pool fence.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”