High Alkalinity Going Up and Down in Newly Filled Pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
bigjt_2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,600 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, using trichloro chlorene. Pentair SuperFlo pump and Pentair Sand Dollar sand filter.

High Alkalinity Going Up and Down in Newly Filled Pool

Postby bigjt_2 » Sun 29 May, 2016 15:13

Hello,

I have a 15,600 gallon inground vinyl liner pool. I am using Trichloro chlorine and have a Pentair SuperFlo pump and Pentair Sand Dollar sand filter.

This past Monday, about six days ago now, I had a new liner installed. 1/3 of the pool was filled with a water truck to make the liner set, the rest came from my hose. I've been told this is normal, but afterward my alkalinity was around 250ppm and pH was around 8. I began administering dry acid in doses of about 30oz each time. Most of those days was twice per day, today and tomorrow I'm trying to get three doses in. I add the acid to a bucket of pool water each time, stir it for several minutes until it desolves, and then pour it over my water jets.

By Thur the alkalinity was down to 170ppm so I laid off for a day because I thought it was falling as a result of the acid settling. By the end of the day Friday, it had risen back up to 250ppm so I resumed putting in acid. This morning when I tested (two days later) it was up to 280ppm! We did have a light rain yesterday for about an hour and I know that can bring it up, but by 30ppm in one day?? I've tried all the various methods people suggest. Yesterday I was doing the thing where I turned the circulation system off for an hour, administer the acid, then turn it back on. Seems like the alk. just went up. So today I'm keeping the circulation system on while pouring this in.

I am not putting in any other chemicals at this time except dry acid. Has anyone else delt with alkalinity going up and down by 20-30ppm when they've filled their pools with new water? I'm really not sure what to do here as everyone says dry or muriatic acid is the answer.

Sutro_SmartMonitor

Re: High Alkalinity Going Up and Down in Newly Filled Pool

Postby Sutro_SmartMonitor » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 14:44

You should check out our smart monitor - it could definitely help you with all of these chemical issues, etc. Our monitor connects with you via an app and tells you where the levels are at, what needs adjustments, and how to do that.

If you're a new pool owner, we're currently inviting people to join our beta testing program. Or you can pre-order it!

http://mysutro.com/pages/sutro-for-new-pool-owners

Let me know if you have any questions!

- Shannon

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”