Horsepower question

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
ixboombox

Horsepower question

Postby ixboombox » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 21:50

Hello all. I love these forums, been a lurker. I have what might sound like a stupid question. I had someone come look at my pool and he said I have a 2hp pump. He said i didn't need a 2hp pump for the pool and that I'm using more electricity than I need to.

So I wasn't home when he had came by so I thought it was interesting. I came home today and I see two hp ratings. The one I think he was referring to was the sticker near the basket on the pump, it did say 2hp. But then behind the motor near the wall , I saw a sticker that said 1hp.

So my question is how do I find out which hp is the right one? Sorry for the length, I'm just very new to this all.

odbob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: British 30ft x 8ft x 4ft deep indoor pool, I micron bag filter, 3kw electric heater, maintained at 31.5 degC all year round

Re: Horsepower question

Postby odbob » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 03:11

It is the label attached to the motor driving the water pump which will identify the actual rating of the motor, but on the question of oversizing of the pump, you would first need advise the size of pool length width depth to determine quantity of water
ixboombox

Postby ixboombox » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 04:00

Ohh, I see. So on the motor itself it says 1hp, but near the basket is says 2hp. Does that mean I have an oversized pump for the Motor. It's about a 12,000 gallon pool
odbob
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: British 30ft x 8ft x 4ft deep indoor pool, I micron bag filter, 3kw electric heater, maintained at 31.5 degC all year round

Postby odbob » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 06:56

The 1 HP motor has obviously been driving the pump and so sounds like there is no problem, I really don't know why the pump is rated in HP, it should have detail about flow rates and head pressure. The question of sizing for your pool, I don't have the answer, my pool is 24000 litres (5300 gal) and has a pump size of 0.5 HP and so a 1HP sounds just about right, others on this forum could hopefully offer better advise on sizing, good luck
daviddallastx
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: RE: Horsepower question

Postby daviddallastx » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 12:30

Anonymous wrote:Hello all. I love these forums, been a lurker. I have what might sound like a stupid question. I had someone come look at my pool and he said I have a 2hp pump. He said i didn't need a 2hp pump for the pool and that I'm using more electricity than I need to.

So I wasn't home when he had came by so I thought it was interesting. I came home today and I see two hp ratings. The one I think he was referring to was the sticker near the basket on the pump, it did say 2hp. But then behind the motor near the wall , I saw a sticker that said 1hp.

So my question is how do I find out which hp is the right one? Sorry for the length, I'm just very new to this all.

If someone replaced the motor on a two hp pump with a one hour motor, you just need to make sure they replaced the impeller as well. A 2hp impeller will ultimately reduce useful life of the motor. To verify you will need to take the pump apart and look at the part number molded into the impeller and cross reference with the internet to see what you have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
kanny

Postby kanny » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:08

Your pump would reasonably deliver 3000 gal/hr which for ur pool size is abs fine.Don't worry about doing any R&D, as long as it works fine
kanny

Postby kanny » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:10

Your pump would reasonably deliver 3000 gal/hr which for ur pool size is abs fine.Don't worry about doing any R&D, as long as it works fine

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”