Best For Circulation

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
SummerFun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14x28 in-ground with cartridge filter.

Best For Circulation

Postby SummerFun » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 09:14

Hello! So I've been in my new home for a few years now and it came with a 14x28 rectangular, in-ground pool (w/cartridge filter). Within that time I've also had several different pool companies come out to either open or close for the season (I say several because I wasn't happy with the first one I went with and picked a new one this year). Anyway, between them and the previous owners who also gave us pointers on operating and taking care of the pool, they've ALL had something different to say when it comes to which way to position the return jets. So, I'm hoping to get a better, more definitive answer here. I HOPE! LOL

As I said, it's 14x28 and has stairs at one end, two returns at the shallow end and 2 at the "deep" end. (only 5.5 feet deep). The skimmer basket is in the middle of the pool on the one side. If I'm able to do so, I will upload a diagram I made of my pool below.

The most recent company to open our pool had the jets angled in a way that the jets barely, if at all broke the water. And with them facing like that we noticed that most of the debris on top was staying on top and NOT moving towards the basket so, not sure that's working for us.

Also, he told us we didn't have to lower the water to the where we were used to doing it. He said you just need a small amount of space to allow the debris to go inside the skimmer. That you didn't want to lower it too much or balls, toys and such will gravitate towards it too. So, below I will also post a pic of a skimmer similar to ours. Ours is the same thing, minus that plug of course. Anyway, we are used to having the water line come between the two screws as shown with the RED line. But he told us to only lower it to where the BLUE line is depicted. What do you all recommend? Could the fact that our water level is higher now be contributing to the fact that the debris is staying put on the surface? Or do you think that is strictly a jet/positional issue only?

The light blue blocks/squares at either end of the pool in the diagram is what I used to show where the jets are located.

You can see in this photo that the water line is almost exactly where our latest pool guy suggested we keep it. But, like I said, we had always kept it lower and never noticed an issue before with debris. But we also had the jets facing different ways too (as per the other company) so we don't know what to think.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Best For Circulation

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:06

Generally water level should be 1/2 to 2/3 up the skimmer. Leaving it lower could allow air to be sucked in from the skimmer
Play around with your eyeballs to see the best way to skim the surface
You could place some ping pong balls in the water and wath how they move
SummerFun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14x28 in-ground with cartridge filter.

Re: Best For Circulation

Postby SummerFun » Fri 28 Apr, 2017 12:15

OK so then I should pretty much leave the water line as the last pool company suggested, where the blue line is? Thanks!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”