Need help...

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Scarter028

Need help...

Postby Scarter028 » Sat 20 May, 2017 12:12

I recently bought a home and inherited a pool with it. Trying to get he pool open and running for summer, but I'm having trouble and I'm not sure what could be causing the problem.

I have an above ground pool with a sand filter and Hayward pump. When I first turn the pump on, the suction is great and here is a significant amount of water coming back out of the return jet. After about an hour or so of running the pump, it seems the suction has slowed and when I check the water coming out of the return, it's also slowed. What could be causing this loss of suction? The skimmer basket is clean, and I have also cleaned the strainer in the pump basket. I have backwashed and rinsed the filter as well.. I'm at a loss and it's getting frustrating. Any help/tips would greatly appreciated.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Need help...

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 21 May, 2017 03:01

Does the water go down in the pump basket if so you have a suction side air leak, check the water level at the skimmer weir. It should be 1/2 to 2/3 up
After backwashing is the flow OK and does the water come out dirty, is the pool dirty or algae bloom

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”