Help with filter and pressure

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
coreyblake
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16ft above ground

Help with filter and pressure

Postby coreyblake » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 21:37

I just bought a house with an above ground pool. About 16ft. It hasn't been open in a couple years. I bought a new pump and new sand. I cleaned out the filter. Added half water. Added a little sand. Placed the thing in there with the arms that fold down, then 3 maybe 4 bags of sand. Backwashed for two minutes and then rinsed for 1 minute. Pump seems to work fine, but it loses pressure within about a half hour. The jet has great pressure then starts to die out. I just found out that this is wrong BUT what I would do to get the pressure back is to backwash it again until the seeing glass on the side was clear water again then I would run filter normal again. Same thing happens. About 15-30 minutes its dead again. Not much water coming out. Now I thought maybe it was just because the water is so dirty and this was normal but I found out that is not the case and I should not have to backwash every 15 minutes. Do I have too much sand in there? Not enough sand? Why is the pressure so bad after a while? I tried hooking my vacuum hose up also to clean the bottom. Now its very dirty down there. But after a few passes, I see brown water shoot out of the jet. So of course I backwash again. What should I do here?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Help with filter and pressure

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 03:42

The filter is doing it's job, pressure builds up and slows the returns when it gets clogged with dirt and debris
Can you vacuum to waste for the majority of muck on the bottom as that will help take the load off the filter also maybe scoop some out with a net
You very likely have algae so you would need to Slam after using the Chlorine / CYA Chart to determine your shock level in relation to your Cyanuric acid (stabilisor)
How are you chlorinating, liquid chlorine (bleach, Sodium hypochlorite) is best as excessive CYA will render your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
How do you test? Pool stores and strips are widely inaccurate a FAS/DPD kit is best (Taylor K2006C or TF100)
What are your numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: w cooper sand filter 2115 with a 1hp haywood pump 30 ft above ground

Postby crabbjames11 » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 12:39

im having the same problem.. I made a post under pool please help!!!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 17:01

crabbjames11 wrote:im having the same problem.. I made a post under pool please help!!!

Is none of the above information any help. If not please explain what you need to know

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”