need help with new water in small pool. son took it upon himself to bleach.

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
hemifatcat
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 1100 gallon above ground 10×24 pool
Pump it came with

need help with new water in small pool. son took it upon himself to bleach.

Postby hemifatcat » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 17:46

My son put about 2 cups of bleach in my lil kids pool last night. Apparently to "shock it" it had a little algae growing and no chemicals had been put in it for the week or so the kids had been playing inside. This is our first "larger" kids pool that didnt require being emptied everyday. Well the kids want to get in and its been since about 8pm last night that the bleach was put in with the filter on. Is it safe? Was that too much? He thinks he knows everything. Help. Its 3:45pm now. Thank you

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: need help with new water in small pool. son took it upon himself to bleach.

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 04:24

What are your numbers and how do you test. Even a small pool needs to be tested and sanitised regularly
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Get your son to check out Pool Maths to get an idea of the correct dosage of chemicals for your size of pool
If you have algae then you would need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain)
You can swim up to shock level relative to your Cyanuric acid in Chlorine / CYA Chart
Your son will know a lot more about pool chemistry if he reads the links I have included

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”