Problem With First Pool Opening.

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
NLAlston
I'm new here
I'm new here

Problem With First Pool Opening.

Postby NLAlston » Sun 23 Jul, 2006 22:00

Hello everyone,

I am new, here, and have a concern that I hope someone might help me with. This is our very first post-winter pool opening (having bought a 30' round, above ground pool just spring), and we are experiencing a major problem. The water had a very nasty green color, and (last week) I went through about 5 bags of "Super Shock" in attempts to combat it. Our pool is rated at 24,000 gallons of water, and each bag of shock claimed an effective treating of 16,500 gallons. But there was no change to be realized. We were advised, by a pool outlet, to give it another good 'shocking', and (night before last) we put in another 6 bags of super shock (as was also advised). Still - no major change. The pool just went from a deeper to lighter green color. The next given advice was to buy some 'liquid' shock - which we did (four gallons), and two of the gallons were fed into the pool, night before last. A few hours later (about midnight), the water didn't seem to show any change, so I put another two bags of powdered shock into the water, also. Yesterday morning, the water was very cloudy looking. Last night, I put the balance of a bottle of 'Clarifier' (about 24 ounces) into the pool - hoping that it would clear it up. But, this morning, the condition of the water was exactly the same.

There is also the problem of a hard, sandy-like deposit on the interior wall of the pool, and I had hoped that the frequent shocking would have helped to loosen it up for an easier scrubbing off. I don't know what to do, and no one around here seems to have the answer for me.

I read where one poster was querying about two chemical solutions that had been used to, effectively, clean scale (is that what I have?) from her pool walls. She mentioned about the 'bubbling action' of it, and I gather that it was some type of acid based product(s). If anyone knows of anything that might help me, I would appreciate it immensely.

By the way, I had lost all of my pool documentation by closing time, last fall, and just learned that I did not 'close' the pool properly. In addition to this, I had found that winter winds had blown the cover off of the pool, and I (being on the heels of a lower back surgery) wasn't in physical condition enough to re-cover the pool. It couldn't have been a good thing, at all, for the pool to have traveled the greater course of winter uncovered - but, again, I would be ever so grateful for any help in this matter.

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Problem With First Pool Opening.

Postby NLAlston » Tue 25 Jul, 2006 02:50

NLAlston wrote: I don't know what to do, and no one around here seems to have the answer for me.

I just wanted to say that the above portion of my previous post was in reference to anyone "in the know" (pool care) who lived in close proximity to me - and not to anyone on this forum.
Blessings,

Nathan

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”