Where does my conditioner go?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
youngskywalker
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 gal

Where does my conditioner go?

Postby youngskywalker » Fri 27 Apr, 2018 14:49

I just tested my CYA and it is close to zero. One year ago it was 50. I understand how splash out and fill/rain water will dilute it BUT, Why is my salt still at 2800? Over the last couple of years I've added minimal salt but LOTS of conditioner. This doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I also added Borate at 50ppm 2 years ago. I'd like to know where that level is but the test strips I have are useless.

So should I just add another jug or conditioner or is it possible I have too much and it's testing zero?

SWG, I do not use stabilized tabs.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Where does my conditioner go?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 01:57

Your CYA can run down over time especially over a year however your salt remains in the water after evaporation
Don't just go blindly adding chemicals to your water as that could put you in a difficult situation
Get yourself a decent test kit (Taylor K2006C or TF100), you can't rely on test strips or pool stores
Your salt also seems a bit low as most SWCG's require about 3000
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Where does my conditioner go?

Postby Teapot » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 07:17

Seconded! Conditioner cannot be accurately measured with strips, you may well still have conditioner present but useless strips could be telling you otherwise. I had a customer add more and more conditioner as her strips wouldn't show it, when I got there a month later 200ppm conditioner!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”