New Liner New Fill | Chemistry

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Mr C4t
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 oval, in-ground, vinyl liner, ~25,000 gallons

New Liner New Fill | Chemistry

Postby Mr C4t » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 11:25

Problem: Chemistry and SI: What adjustments first?

FC: 0.2ppm
TC: 0.4ppm
pH: 8.0++
TA: 360ppm
CH: 240ppm
CYA: 0

My pool: In Ground, Oval, 18x36, ~25,000 gal
Pool chemicals: Trichlor float
My pump & filter: 3/4 HP Motor, Pump Flow ?, Sand Filter
Other info:

We just got a new liner put in on Monday, 7/12/18. We got our Taylor K-2006 kit Wednesday, 7/14/18. The numbers are extremely out of balance. Where do I start?

I figure I need to increase sanitize (and stabilizer). So, I would need to add stabilizer and non-trichlor (for faster dissolve) to get those figures where I want them. Next, I would use muriatic acid to drop pH to 7.0, then aerate to pH 7.2. I would continue that cycle until my TA has lowered to target (80-120ppm). Based on the Taylor table, it will take 10 or more gallons of muriatic acid to lower TA from 360 to 100ppm. This will obviously be done in many smaller batches (each batch just enough to bring pH down to 7.0).

Am I on the right track here?

Cory

My calcium hardness seems like it is okay.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: New Liner New Fill | Chemistry

Postby Teapot » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:08

I would, after you have added your CYA or even during, lower the pH to 6.8 then aerate to 7.8-8.0 and repeat until you either get bored or get the TA down to around 50ppm with 30-50ppm of stabiliser you should get rock solid no drift pH for the rest of the season. There is no need to use a higher TA (80+) in a vinyl pool, those are old figures for tiled/plaster pools to maintain a hard surface and protect the finish. I doubt you'll need to add any muratic acid once you have a TA of 50 but even if you do the amount will be far far less than with a higher TA as the pH will move much easier. I run my pool and several customers around 40PPm TA and last season used zero pH-
Calcium hardness does not matter in plastic/vinyl pools
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 15:25

Hi Cory
You are on the right track
I agree withTeapot but get some chlorine in the pool fast and then check your levels
You can also use Trichlor if you have any to use up (maybe break them up so that they dissolve quicker)
Mr C4t
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 oval, in-ground, vinyl liner, ~25,000 gallons

Postby Mr C4t » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 09:12

Thank you for your replies.

I have been adding 1/2 gallon muriatic acid each day to slowly lower TA. My TA numbers from the K-2006 are still around 300. I have gone to two different pool stores in the area with water samples, and their results come back much lower (250 for one using a digital type instrument that spun the sample, and 180 for the other that was using test strips).

I am quickly learning how FC ppm can drop very quickly (especially with low CYA numbers). We have (3) trichlor tabs in our floating dispenser, and we're still seeing FC drop from shock level of 12 ppm to zero within about 3 days. I'll be checking chlorine every day until our CYA gets up to about 40, and I'll add a little liquid chlorine each night to keep the FC around 3.

I'm slowly adding the powder/granule stabilizer, and it takes a long time to dissolve. The pool store guy suggested I put it in a skimmer sock, tie it off, and hang it from the ladder of the pool to slowly dissolve. This appears to be working, but extremely slow. It is nicer than sweeping up or vacuuming out the residuals from the pool floor, though.

Otherwise, the pool has remained very clear, and things are going well (for the first 8 days, so far) for this first-time pool owner.

Thanks again,

Cory
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 17 Jul, 2018 12:05

Cory, if you switch to dichlor, you'll add more stabiliser a bit quicker. The pool shop people often don't own a pool themselves so talk cobblers, you need the sock of stabiliser in a fast moving water spot, the skimmer or the return jet is just the right place. Not much movement by a ladder usually.
Don't believe dip strips, the spin test is LaMotte a reasonably accurate test.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 19 Jul, 2018 03:37

Second what Teapot says
When I add stabiliser, I put some in a bucket add some really hot water to it and poor in front of a return making sure the undissolved CYA remains in the bucket. I then repeat untill all the CYA is dissolved

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”