Pump power - Pool steps / Spa jets

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
PMahoney

Pump power - Pool steps / Spa jets

Postby PMahoney » Fri 25 Aug, 2006 12:32

I just had a new inground pool installed in my backyard. It is a 20 X 40 mountain lake shape pool. It is 3 feet in the shallow end and 6 1/2 feet in the deep end. I have 4 returns in the pool. The first two are regular returns and are placed strategically througout the pool. The other two are spa jets installed in the 8 foot steps. The problem I have is the water does not seem to be coming through the spa jets very forcefully. Is this normal? The 1 1/2 HP pump is located about 20 - 25 feet away from the pool (even further away from the steps). Could it be that the pump is not strong enough to push / pull all that water from so far away? I know the spa jets are smaller in size and the piping used during construction were smaller than the ones used for the regular returns. Are these jets mainly for water flow or should I really feel the pressure? I figured since the pool company designed the pool (spa jets, pump distance and all) - maybe they should upgrade the pump to a higher horsepower. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”