Cleaning chlorinator cell?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mel.cooper
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 50,000-litre pool

Re: Cleaning chlorinator cell?

Postby mel.cooper » Tue 12 Apr, 2022 01:08

Hey guys,

I just moved into a new place with a saltwater pool and was wondering if I need to get this salt cell cleaner for the salt chlorinator that I have? (I am located in Sydney!)

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 12 Apr, 2022 13:08

Lucky Sidney!
Look into the cell for calcium build up, especially at the juctions of the plates as that is where short circuits can occur which often kill the power supplies.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
utelectrode
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt Pool Chlorinator 50M3

Postby utelectrode » Tue 10 May, 2022 21:08

All cells will require cleaning periodically, to remove scale deposits that form on the electrodes during normal operation.

When cleaning is indicated, the cell is usually immersed or filled with a solution of at least 3 parts of hydrochloric acid and 7 parts water until the scale deposits have been removed. Some deposits dissolve in a few minutes while others may take 30 minutes to an hour. Remember the weaker the cleaning solution is the longer it will take to clean the cell plates and sensors. Repeat the process if the effervescence subsides and the cell is still not clean.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”