Austin Tx. Gunite or Fiberglass

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
ledstones
I'm new here
I'm new here

Austin Tx. Gunite or Fiberglass

Postby ledstones » Thu 01 Feb, 2007 13:30

We are looking into putting in a pool in Austin Tx. All we want is a small simple no frills pool with a hot tub. Therefore we're leaning towards fiberglass due to the low mnt. requirements. Does anybody know anything about Leisure Pool Co.?

Postby Guest » Fri 09 Feb, 2007 18:12

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND FIBERGLASS
Pool Owner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Pool Owner » Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:43

This is one of the great questions of pool construction… it seems to be depended upon both taste and geographic location. I have a “simple” rectangular gunnite pool but I never rally considered anything else because the vast majority of the pool built it So Cal are gunnite. If you have not yet done so, I recommend that you check out a few of the other pool bulletin boards to get a wider selection of answers. Also, check out your local library for books on swimming pools (I’ve got a few reviews on my blog). Good luck.
Pool Owner
Orange County, CA, USA
poolforum(dot)blogspot(dot)com
all4him
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby all4him » Wed 11 Apr, 2007 07:33

I live in San Antonio and would recommend gunnite since that is what I have.

If you are looking for a pool contractor I would also highly recommned "Platinum Custom Pools of San Antonio.

Thats my 2 cents
MyPool

Fiber-Glass

Postby MyPool » Wed 30 May, 2007 07:45

Fiber-Glass/Concrete-Gunnite - Either will work - it's all about the engineering and design, based on YOUR exact location (even a few yards can make a difference). BIG savings usually come at a big cost!

Neighbors fiberglass walls split at reinforcement belt when half empty while changing water out - ground was heavly saturated from rains. Parents GUNITE POOL cracked just below water line because of design/installation and hydraulic pressures again caused in part by soil and heavy rains. Both pools were over 10 years old and out of warranty and not designed specific.

I would use this equation:
COST C-G - MINUS COST F-G = INITIAL SAVINGS - THEN AJUST FOR MAINTANENCE AND DEPRECIATION FOR F-G RESALE (of home some day) IF APPLICABLE.

ADD WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH ANY SAVINGS?

i prefer ease of maintanence of F-G but do not plan to ever sell my home - i'll let the kids deal with it when we're to old to care ;0)

ENJOY

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”