birds pooping over my inground pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
dirt sweeper

birds pooping over my inground pool

Postby dirt sweeper » Wed 16 May, 2007 22:00

why is it that these black birds are pooping in the pool. I hosed off the pool deck this morning and came home and found 9 new droppings. Is this a game for these guys or what??? It could be that I cut down the huge Maple tree next to the pool last year and they are really ticked off..don't know

mare

birds pooping

Postby mare » Sun 20 May, 2007 07:41

I'm having the same problem! This is the first year we have experienced it, it's very unpleasant! Help!!!!!!!!
No more birds!!!!

ME TOO!

Postby No more birds!!!! » Mon 21 May, 2007 16:06

I am having the same problem. I tried the owl trick, and that didn't work. I also bought a huge inflatable seahorse to "bob" around in my pool, and that didn't work either. Does anyone have any suggestions!!!! :cry:
bo

bird poop

Postby bo » Wed 23 May, 2007 10:35

does anyonew have help with black birds pooping in my pool??

Postby Guest » Fri 25 May, 2007 08:12

I have/had? same problem - I just put a bunch of fake rubber snakes around the pool 2 days ago and haven't seen any new poop. I was told birds hate snakes and to keep moving them around so the birds don't catch on that they are fake. Seems to be working...
Anne D'Angelo
I'm new here
I'm new here

grackles

Postby Anne D'Angelo » Mon 28 May, 2007 12:45

There is alot of info online about this problem, but hardly any real solutions. This is my second year dealing with it. Today, we are putting the winter cover back on. We have given up. They won. :(
frankspoolservice

birds

Postby frankspoolservice » Wed 23 Apr, 2008 18:57

Try filling your pool with about 20 beachballs.I use this trick for duck problem. Good luck. FRANK
Ken IL

Bird poop

Postby Ken IL » Thu 29 May, 2008 15:30

If anyone has a solution, please help. I just opened my pool for the first time (NW burbs of Chicago) and my pool and pool deck are getting bombed with poop. I would like a solution but also a reason... why are they doing this? Another site suggested that adults scoop the poop from their young out of the nests so predators cannot smell their nests. They use their mouths to scoop the poop but why they feel they have to drop it near water is unclear. I have heard of the owls and also hangin CDs in your yard (the sun hitting the CD creates light effects that birds do not like). I am ready to hunt the birds if necessary and I just ripped a nest out of the shrub in my front yard. Thousands of $$ so I can kneel on my pool deck and scrub poop? Not!
Ken IL

Postby Ken IL » Fri 30 May, 2008 10:34

After numerous searches, it appears that this is a temporary thing that only exists for a few weeks in the spring and then stops. If that's the case, I can deal with it. I did find a nest in one of my trees and in a temporary fit of spirited anger, I took it out with a long cherry-picker. Sorry birds.

Someone on another board also suggested taking the big plastic owls and throwing them in the pool so they bob and move so you don't have to move it yourself.
Duffy Pools

Postby Duffy Pools » Fri 30 May, 2008 19:39

High intensity Motion lights at night. Buy a dog and keep it in the pool yard in the day. Kinda like the old time farmer had a problem with types of crops in the spring. So , the breaded a dog to eat woodchucks. Guess what dog it was?
Dennis from Chitown

Blackbird messes and cleanup

Postby Dennis from Chitown » Sat 31 May, 2008 17:36

I had a pondless waterfall installed last year ... late summer. Zen-like ... wonderful. Always wanted something like this. Now the blackbirds are carrying poop and leaving it all over my rocks. Terrible! Fouling everything up ... very dirty and, I'm sure, unhealthy for my grandchildren. I'm encouraged that it may only be temporary. I'm going to try the fake snake solution and see if it works. Thanks for the tip!

Any other practical solutions out there? CDs and beachballs might work, but I can't reconcile them with the asthetics!

By the way ... what treatment can I use to remove algae and muck build up on the river rocks? This water feature experience is all new to me. And, as I mentioned, Momo and me want to keep it clean, not only for us, but our three little ones.

Thanks in advance for any an all suggestions.
Ken IL

Postby Ken IL » Sat 31 May, 2008 22:02

It appears that the birds have stopped or slowed down with the pooping/spitting, at least in my area (NW burbs of Chicago). Most mornings for the past 2 weeks, there was at least 15-20 massive droppings as well as a small "pile" of stuff in the deep end of my pool. The last 2 mornings, almost nothing. The real question is "why do birds feel that they have to poop/spit in water?".

Dennis... I'd bet that a normal algaecide (available at Home Depot) would be enough to keep your fountain free of bacteria or algae. To be honest, you could probably put a small amount of bleach in there unless you think it would harm the mechanics or stain the fountain. I agree with you... CDs, owls, snakes and beach balls may make your backyard look like a flae market. :x
itchibee

Birds pooping over my inground pool

Postby itchibee » Tue 12 May, 2009 14:05

Help! I am experiencing the bird poop problem and it is driving me crazy and costing me money. Has anyone found a solution yet?
logicalresponse

Postby logicalresponse » Sat 16 May, 2009 09:43

This is my second year and the way I finally solved it last year was I found the nest and moved it to the front yard. It seems the parent black bird cleans the nest by constantly taking the little baby poop sacs (diaper change!) by carrying it out of the nest and dropping it always in the same area. Maybe they like to observe the wonderful job of poop making their babies did!! Why they like pool covers and pools I haven't figured out but I will find every nest and move it and if they don't like it they can move away from humans and live in the woods. If you do move the nest use gloves so as not to leave your humaness on it, whatever. Also, I did it late in the day so the parent could see where I put it, she followed and that ended it last year. I am presently on poop patrol tracking their flight patterns to figure where a nest might be. They are also kind of aggressive when you near the nest if they are around.' Little stubborn stinkers may have met their match,HUM! One more thought, each nest has new adults for next year to multiply the problem.
Plumber

Postby Plumber » Sat 16 May, 2009 19:34

Wow, I was surprised when this popped up on google. A little relief knowing it's not just me. This just started for me this year too. My cover was covered (no pun) in bird poo the last two days. Today I rolled it up & saw the perps coming in to drop their kid's poop of at the pool (again no pun). WTF?
We've never had this problem before in the 5 years we've lived here.
There's no way I can move their nest. It's about 40' in the air in a neighbor's cypress tree. Those blackbirds are hell bent on leaving their poo at the pool. Even when I was right there chasing them, they flew to the other side, dropped the poo from their beak & took off. Hope this ends soon! It's pretty bad.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”