birds pooping over my inground pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
tigervet436

Birds pooping over my inground pool

Postby tigervet436 » Tue 19 May, 2009 20:30

www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-1275.html
Gamo whisper very quite .....very deadly ..........

Plumber

Postby Plumber » Fri 22 May, 2009 22:18

tigervet436 wrote:http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-1275.html
Gamo whisper very quite .....very deadly ..........

NICE!
Terminator
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 80,000 Liters L shape

Postby Terminator » Wed 27 May, 2009 19:55

Opened my pool other Sunday, I power washed all the poop and scoop those inside the pool. Monday came, I had the same amount of poop from what I cleaned the previous day. So I just started cleaning up again, started with the power washer, and then scoop the ones inside. But while I was doing that, as squadron of blackbirds drop their stuff. This meant war.
Day 1. Reconnaissance, find out their hiding spot and nest and usual landing branches.
Day 2, borrow a 40 ft ladder, destroy all all the nest including eggs and chicks.
Day 3 to Day 6. 12 gauge shotgun. Start shooting them one by one. Place the dead birds in the middle of the field. Their so dumb, that they will stop by to check on their dead buddies. Shoot them too.
Day 7. Enjoy and Relax. No more blackbirds.

You can also try this, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImSsii1PMUs) motion activated sprinkler if you don't have time to hunt.

Hope this helps.
lac

Postby lac » Fri 29 May, 2009 08:25

I think I may have a solution for you! It's working for me. Helium balloons on 6 - 10 foot ribbon tied stategically around the pool and over the water! It changes the flight pattern of the birds, first it takes them by surprise, then they go around. I also put a balloon over the hedges that is a part of the flight pattern. The balloons move around in the breeze so they aren't stationary, this way birds don't get accustomed to them. NO BIRD POOP in the pool yesterday and today (so far). Try it! It cost me $5.00

It's safe, effective and cheap!

And, I cannot believe I found this topic on the internet! Thanks for all the suggestions but this is my very own and seems to be working.
DesertHeat
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: A 12'x30', 12,105 gallon, in ground pool w/ StoneScapes aggregate finish. Pentair CCP-420 cartridge filter, Pentair Whisperflow 1.0 HP pump, PCC-2000 in floor automatic cleaning system, Vision - Nature 2 mineral system and a Lectro-Pure magnetic water conditioner.

Postby DesertHeat » Sat 30 May, 2009 13:19

We used to live in Sonoma, wine country, for many, many years. The vineyard managers have always had a problem towards the end of the growing season with bird eating the grapes (which can become rather costly at some of the high-end vineyards). To scare off the birds they started using that one and two inch wide silvery/sparkly rainbow ribbon.

Well, here in Tucson during the hot season (May - October) when mid-day temp regularly top 100 the birds like to hang out on the patio in the shade... pooping on everything. We started using the vineyard manager's trick with the ribbon and it worked! I'm guessing that the random bright and colorful flashes make them nervous and they no longer come into the fenced area. They still hang out beyond the fence in the wild desert and that's close enough for us to enjoy them, and not their poop.

The roadrunners still come through the backyard, but only cars and humans bother them.
SWEETPEA

Postby SWEETPEA » Thu 17 Jun, 2010 03:42

PEOPLE STOP HATING THE BIRDS! CAN YOU IMAGINE OUR WORLD WITHOUT THEM...THEY POOP BUT IT'S OKAY YOUR POOL CHEMICALS TREAT IT DON'T BE STUPID! I AM A BIRD LOVER AND YOU ALL SOUND AS IF YOU HATE BIRDS, THEY GIVE US FREE SONGS DAILY AND THEY ARE TRULY FASCINATING TO WATCH WE HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM THEM LIKE THE JET! SO NEXT TIME YOU SEE A LITTLE POOP IN YOUR POOL THINK ABOUT THIS...WE MOVED INTO THEIR BACKYARD...ENJOY THEM...I HAVE HUNDRED OF BIRDS IN MY YARD WITH FEEDERS AND WE HAVE A LARGE SWIMMING POOL BUT THAT IS WHY WE HAVE A POOL MAN CHEMICALS TO TREAT THE POOL AND POOL CLEANERS THAT IS ALWAYS PICKING UP STUFF! YOU MUST HAVE RESPECT FROM GOD LITTLE GIFT THAT HE GAVE SO FREELY TO US...EMBRACE THEM POOP & ALL...THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL AND WHEN I READ WHAT SOME WROTE HERE IT MADE ME VERY SAD...THAT SOME PEOPLE CAN BE SO CRUEL TO BIRDS AND PEOPLE! GOD BLESS & PROTECT OUR FEATHERED FRIENDS AND THEIR BABIES! FROM A TRUE BIRD LOVER & PROTECTOR.
clanercp

Postby clanercp » Tue 22 Jun, 2010 14:49

Air rifle purchased at Wal Mart for $40 fixed this problem
rattled

Postby rattled » Mon 06 Sep, 2010 13:21

Sounds like LAC is the intelligent one, well done, the others well my glock will sort you out if you come near my pool.
Sunny

Postby Sunny » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 08:06

Hey guys, I went through problems with birds pooping in my pool area and bugs constantly flying and dying in my water. I got a screen enclosure from Lightning Aluminum, Inc and they did the BEST job and were extremely affordable. Seriously, this solved all my problems, so you may want to consider a screen enclosure (mine was a solid roof near the house side and screen over the pool to stay warm). Good luck!
fix

Postby fix » Thu 11 Nov, 2010 16:17

use something reflective, like mirrors or aluminum things that float.
this will frighten the birds and send them away!!
I have used old cds on foam that floated and the result was perfect!
CindyM

Bird poop

Postby CindyM » Fri 01 Jul, 2011 09:25

I have had an above ground pool for 18 years and started having problems with grackles dropping poop in it after planting a row of evergreens behind the pool. They are now 20+ feet tall and they nest in them too high for me to disrupt them. I get an average of 30 droppings a day. One day I sat by the pool and read to guard it. I saw a grackle land on the edge of the pool with something in it's mouth. Before it flew off it dropped it in the pool. I checked it out and sure enough, it was poop!
I called a park naturalist and asked what I could do and what was going on. She said that for two weeks after their young hatch they are cleaning their nests of waste. In about two weeks it should end. And... It did.
The owl has never worked against them. Leaving the solar blanket or winter cover isn't a perfect solution either. They cover with it with droppings and with rain water thrown in, it is hard to remove them without dumping a bunch in the pool.
I continue to try finding an inexpensive solution. There are motion detector products that emit predator sounds. Has anyone tried one and does it work?
crystalclear
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crystalclear » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 12:48

Loose all bird seed, adopt some squirrels, get a dog

Birds are something that are hard to contest with unless you go out of your way to combat them
cpo2go
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard
My Pool: 27,000 gal, pebble tec, all Pentair equipment; DE filter, 3/4 hp, 400k heater, Poolvergnuegen 4x Pool Cleaner

Postby cpo2go » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:26

It's only a seasonal problem related to the birds migration. I know what a hassle it is but, I've never heard of a decent solution. Each pool and it's surroundings are different.
I've seen people hang netting, put beach balls in the pool, floating fountains and one family had a motion sensor which connects to their garden hose and it sprays when triggered. They use it for ducks, which are larger. I'm not sure how it would work for smaller birds.
http://www.cpo2go.com
Pool and Spa Water Care Simplified.
Easy to use, fast results.
flowers

Postby flowers » Wed 18 Apr, 2012 21:30

I have this same problem with black birds! They clean the fledglings droppings from the nests and put it on the pool edge!!! It is not a matter of pool condition or PH, or anything but bird house keeping, at our expense.
I have found that mid spring, sunglasses, hat, and long sleeves with my ladder, and use my pool poles to knock the nests from the trees. This helps a great deal. If you do this to early they lay more eggs, and too late the babies have hatched.
I have heard plastic snakes work, and also plastic alligators deter them. I'm going to try this, because they are hard to shoot.
I would appreciate any other solutions that don't recommend waiting for them to fly away....
poolgal541

Postby poolgal541 » Sun 13 May, 2012 07:46

This it the third year of this for us. Nobody around here had ever heard of black birds doing this. Apparently the birds are cleaning out the nest and are spewing the droppings from the nest into the pool When the babies are big enough to leave the nest, the birds will leave the pool alone. I HATE BLACK BIRDS!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”