New pool, sand filter, does it make sense to switch to salt?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Robin9999

New pool, sand filter, does it make sense to switch to salt?

Postby Robin9999 » Wed 30 May, 2007 12:23

Hi Everyone,

This may be a stupid question.
I've had my pool for 1 month now and have yet to jump in. Water is still cool. (72 deg)

My wife and I have been talking about a non clorine solution. Our son is 15 months old and would prefer something "softer/less agressive".

Is going to salt the best way? Is it expensive. (I guess I would have to switch from sand to salt right?)

What about Pristine Blue? or alternative solutions to cholrine?

Thanks in advance,

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 30 May, 2007 12:45

Is your son allergic to chlorine? IMO, chlorine isn't aggressive if balanced properly. It's when people over/under dose that you get skin irritation/smells/etc.

Remember also that a salt system is just a chlorine generator anyway (albeit lower levels), not a non-chlorine solution.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 30 May, 2007 23:32

Blackglass is right. SWG's make chlorine out of salt and unless you have some true allergy to chlorine, I personally wouldn't use anything but a SWG or chlorine system.

SWG's can be wonderful, little or no additional chlorine is needed, but you still need to keep on top of your pool and make sure your chems are in the proper range. If you let it get out of hand you will get too many CC's which are the real culprits to stingy eyes and such.

Enjoy your pool!
Robin9999

Postby Robin9999 » Thu 31 May, 2007 08:18

Thanks Guys,

My son is not allegric to Cholrine.

Any suggestions on manfactures to explore? I have not idea of what switching over the salt is all about.

Thank you once again,

Robin

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”