15 x 42 pool what chemicals to I need to start it up

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
paige

15 x 42 pool what chemicals to I need to start it up

Postby paige » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 11:26

Hello,

I just bought an above ground pool 15 X 42 for the grandchild. Someone told me all I need to do is add bleach and baking soda. Is this true, and if so how much? Any help would be appreciated.

Alan
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Alan » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 16:09

I've heard that bleach can maintain the water in a pool but I think your best course of action would be to go to your local pool supply and get a chemical starter kit. It helps us novices understand about water quality. Your grandchild should be swimming in safe conditions. Were in the same boat, getting our new pool and water safe.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: 15 x 42 pool what chemicals to I need to start it up

Postby Backglass » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 21:08

paige wrote:I just bought an above ground pool 15 X 42 for the grandchild. Someone told me all I need to do is add bleach and baking soda. Is this true, and if so how much? Any help would be appreciated.

Someone was wrong. :lol:

First, thats a quite large above ground pool. You cant just make a blanket statement about what to add, as it depends on your local water conditions. Everyones water is different and you will need to tailor your chemicals to your local water. I hope you understood before buying that owning a pool isn't a "set it and forget it" endeavor. Unless you plan on hiring a pool service you will need to test the water weekly (or more often), shock the pool periodically (super chlorinate), and adjust the ph among other things. Your pool also has a filter which will need to be backwashed (cleaned) from time to time as well.

Whomever you bought the pool from should have informed you of all these things and if they didn't, did you a dis-service. Most pool companies will give you a primer sheet with basic balancing instructions when you buy a new pool. If you received no instructions on what to do once the pool was installed, you should go back to them and ask for it!
jenn8504
I'm new here
I'm new here

pool

Postby jenn8504 » Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:23

Whatever you do, DO NOT put calcium based shock in it! Take a sample of your water to your pool supply store and have them test it. They'll tell you what to put in it.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: pool

Postby Backglass » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 21:28

jenn8504 wrote:Whatever you do, DO NOT put calcium based shock in it!

And what will happen if she does? ;)

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”