Do I need a pump?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
spt

Do I need a pump?

Postby spt » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 23:07

I recently bought a 12 foot by 26 inch soft sided pool for my kids. The pool did not come with a pump\filter and there is no place to attach one either. I am planning to keep water in the pool all the time and I have bought a cover, chemicals and skimmer for it. Do I need to get a pump and filter for it as well? I was thinking it would be a good idea. The pool only holds about 800 gallons and I could easily enough manufacture pvc piping for the pump hoses. What do you think? or is just testing the water and keeping the chemicals up good enough for a small pool? I am new at this so any advice would be great. Thanks.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 08:37

How does the skimmer work with no pump?

A filter certainly wouldn't hurt and would keep your pool nice and clean. You will be surprised how fast it will get dirty with little feet running around the yard, then jumping in the pool, back in the yard, jumping in the pool... (repeat ad infinitum!).

Postby Guest » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 08:57

I bought a skimmer that is just at the end of a extendable pole and has a fine mesh to get the stuff on top of the pool. I think I will get a small pump with a filter just to be on the safe and clean side. Thanks
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 09:10

Anonymous wrote:I bought a skimmer that is just at the end of a extendable pole and has a fine mesh to get the stuff on top of the pool. I think I will get a small pump with a filter just to be on the safe and clean side. Thanks

Ahhh...a leaf net! Cool.

A skimmer is the device at a standard pools water line with a floating door weir (flapper) that removes floating debris.
spt

Postby spt » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 11:54

Thanks for the correction.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”