salt water system or chlorine?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
muffin

salt water system or chlorine?

Postby muffin » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 16:19

we are looking to purchase an inground vinal liner pool. We have looked at both salt water and chlorine systems and have gotten advised on both, some companies promote chlorine and others promote salt water? what is the best in terms of cost, ease, and ease in getting good water quality.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 18:16

I don't have any experience with salt systems although they do look interesting. You save money in the long run on chemicals, but you have big initial cost. And just so you know...a salt water pool is chlorine too, it's just generated from the salt instead of added in from above.

If you are financing the whole thing, I would go salt and roll it into the purchase.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 21:47

SWG's generate chlorine from salt. So, you still have a chlorine pool, you just shouldn't have to fuss with adding chlorine daily to keep your levels in the right range.

Some people absolutely love the feel of the water from an SWG pool.

I'd go with the SWG, if I were you.
mikergibson
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby mikergibson » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:17

I couldn't agree more. No itchy skin, no burning eyes, and no messing with pucks which increase your stabilizer until you have to drain off water from your pool. I have had a swg for a year and love it!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 09:59

mikergibson wrote:I couldn't agree more. No itchy skin, no burning eyes, and no messing with pucks which increase your stabilizer until you have to drain off water from your pool. I have had a swg for a year and love it!

FWIW, itchy skin & burning eyes aren't normal for non-salt pools either and indicate a problem....but I get your drift! It's definitely a more "hands off" solution.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”