Light green water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Kate

Light green water

Postby Kate » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:15

We have a pool testing kit, though with all the chemicals we've dumped into this pit I can't say it'll provide meaningful results... so here's the question: Pool water was originally a deep, dark, ugly green. Six bags of super shock, one bottle of algaecide (two separate treatments), a bottle of Floc, several vaccumings and backwashings later... the dark green is now a light blue-green/green and you can't see the bottom of the pool.

All the instructions for chem application were followed to the T, though I still have discolored pool water.

The only thing I can think of is that our well (water source for the pool) is dumping something into the water - after spending well over $200 on chemicals alone last year to combat this same problem without resolving the issue, I'm at witts end.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:29

You need to be running your filter 24/7 and keep the chlorine level up. Do you have a test kit? If so, post your numbers so we can see where you are at.
Kate

Postby Kate » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:08

I ran the filter for a week straight (alternating on/off according to chemical instructions) and there was little to no change in the color. The sand and filter are both in proper working order, as well the sand has recently been changed (as of last year).

I was told by numerous people that six bags of super shock would be plenty -- could it really still be a chlorine issue?

Test results forthcoming.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 22:24

Besides your test results, also post your pool volume.

For test results I'd like to see:
TC
CC
FC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

Also, have you had your water tested for metals recently?
Kate

Postby Kate » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:29

I took a sample in to the new pool place, and they said my water was testing fine... everything was as it should be (my test kit bit the dust) - I don't have numbers, unfortunately.

The last time my water was tested for metals was the previous summer (positive), though everything that particular shop told us seemed to come with a suggestion to buy more chemicals that never really fixed the problem.

My pool water still isn't clear though - the light blue/green tint is still the same, possibly a little cloudy. I've backwashed, rinsed and vacuumed as needed though there still appears to be no real noticeable difference.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:43

Kate wrote:I took a sample in to the new pool place, and they said my water was testing fine... everything was as it should be (my test kit bit the dust) - I don't have numbers, unfortunately.

The last time my water was tested for metals was the previous summer (positive), though everything that particular shop told us seemed to come with a suggestion to buy more chemicals that never really fixed the problem.

My pool water still isn't clear though - the light blue/green tint is still the same, possibly a little cloudy. I've backwashed, rinsed and vacuumed as needed though there still appears to be no real noticeable difference.

Well, without test numbers we would just be shooting blind on a fix.

You have two choices.
  • Buy a good test kit and learn about your pool water.
  • Keep giving the pool store lots of money for stuff that isn't helping.

After all, they say everything is fine. Right? ;)
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 23:27

Or have the pool store test it again and write the numbers down for you.

Sheesh, I get irritated when they don't do that.

If you have a Leslie's in your area - go there. They at least always write it down in every Leslie's I've visited.
poolala

Light green water

Postby poolala » Wed 06 Jan, 2010 08:34

you should buy a new testing kit if you don't want to spend a lots of money with chemicals that won't give you any good result
red47

Light green water

Postby red47 » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 17:20

even a bad kit or strips are fine if used very regularly

cya and hardness need proper testing periodically but even the most basic test kit will do for the rest.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”