Well water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Lumberleo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18k Gallon
In Ground/spa
Vinyl
Sand filter - 1hp pump.

Well water

Postby Lumberleo » Sun 12 May, 2019 18:40

New to pools and want to say this site has been very helpful!!

That being said I have what is probably a silly questions.

I have a well and the water is very hard and above average iron content. Along with some tannin.

I have a spigot that comes directly from the well and another that’s comes from my softener and tannin resin. The softener set up does 2,000 gallons per charge so It is feasible to use it for the pool top offs.

Which one do I use to top the pool off?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Well water

Postby Teapot » Mon 13 May, 2019 13:44

Do you have access to municipal water? if so use it, save you a lot of hassle and cost, harvesting rainwater for the pool top up may be cheaper and easier. Otherwise you could the water softener for top ups.
Obviously next question from me is what level is very hard and what is above average iron content?
Lumberleo
I'm new here
I'm new here
In Ground/spa
Vinyl
Sand filter - 1hp pump.

Postby Lumberleo » Mon 13 May, 2019 18:59

Thanks for the reply.

No access to municipal water. Live 20 mins from closest muni. Besides trucking it in.

Is there a specific test for iron in water? There’s enough iron that untreated my irrigation system will stain sidewalks and siding rust color.

Water after being treated through my system has very little iron content. I guess I’ll use that for top off.

I can see that the stairs and spa are already getting a yellow/orange stain to them.

I assume non of the stain our metal out type products work?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 14 May, 2019 07:35

Yes there are specific iron tests, one of the things I do regularly for customers in certain areas.
Metals out etc are just sequestrants they bind up the metal into a non staining form but do not remove anything. The problem is chlorine is trying to breakdown the sequestrant so you play a see saw game of buy sequestrant and adding more chlorine more frequently to keep it in check.

Your softened water sounds a good idea, alternatively pre filtering the water on its way to the pool to remove the iron.
Lumberleo
I'm new here
I'm new here
In Ground/spa
Vinyl
Sand filter - 1hp pump.

Postby Lumberleo » Tue 14 May, 2019 15:57

Ok thanks. I will work on a pre-filter and use as much softened water as possible.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”