Pool Maintenance Questions - Research

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
afranklin2019
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pool Maintenance Questions - Research

Postby afranklin2019 » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 14:38

Hello all,

I'm conducting research for a college engineering project. I'd be extremely grateful if anyone would be kind enough to answer the following questions. If you're comfortable providing an email address, that would be great, if not, don't worry.

1.What kind of pool do you own? (salt/fresh/chlorine, size, etc)
2. Do feel you spend too much time maintaining your pool?
3. How often do you use your pool?
4. What pool service do you use, if any? If so, approx. how much per month do they charge?
5. What do you find inconvenient about your pool’s maintenance?
6. How often do you test the water quality? What do you test it for?
7. What chemicals do you use, if any?
8. If you have any children or pets, what kinds of adjustments have you made to make your pool safer?
9. How often do you leave your house for more than a week at a time?

Thank you!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pool Maintenance Questions - Research

Postby Teapot » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 17:11

How is this related to an engineering project? Those questions are loaded towards a pool maintenance company trying to solicit customers, hence requesting an email address.
afranklin2019
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby afranklin2019 » Fri 12 Jul, 2019 18:06

I understand your suspicion. I'm a student at the University of Florida. My team and I are taking an engineering entrepreneurship course where we're developing a device that can continuously measure pool water parameters and connect to a home's wi-fi. We're trying to determine if this is a product pool owners may desire.

To allay your suspicions further, my university email address is afranklin2016@ufl.edu.

Thanks for your understanding, and we'd be really grateful if you'd be willing to answer the questions. You don't have to provide an email, but our professor wants to ensure we actually asked pool owners for their opinions. You will very likely never be contacted, and if so, it will be by our university professor. You can PM me, or email me your responses if you'd prefer.

Kind Regards

Adam
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 01:44

There are already such devices and a few makers clubs utilising Arduino and Raspberry pi devices.

The pool industry is notorious for rejecting change but more and more of these PMS's are arriving each season as I visit trade shows in Europe.
I can't have one yet as the internet speed in rural France is about, on a good day, when it works at all 0.5mps. I adapted my own unit and added a GSM phone dialler but the phone signal is so poor that was a failure to. Apparently we will get fibre broadband by 2025!

Good luck with the project and please post how you are doing

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”