First Water Test of Pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
candicem
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground 10,000 gallon

First Water Test of Pool

Postby candicem » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 04:41

Recently bought a house with a pool. They only had dip strips which I couldn’t decipher. So I bought a Taylor kit. Here’s the results from the first tests I did.

Free chlorine .4 ppm
Chlorine .4 ppm
Ph 7.2
TA 80

So what should i do now? Are these numbers good? I feel the chlorine is low but the PH and TA are acceptable. Is that right?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: First Water Test of Pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 10:26

Hi candicem and welcome
Is your Taylor Kit K2006 or C
You don't mention CYA
pH and TA are fine although .4 chlorine isn't good and would soon be used up
How are you chlorinating
Please do a complete test
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
candicem
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby candicem » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 16:14

So here’s my numbers from a Taylor FAS-DPD complete kit.

FC - 4 ppm
TC - 1 ppm
PH - 7
TA - 70
CYA - greater than 100
Hardness - 70

I did shock the pool since my last post.

Any advice is welcome!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 16:30

The CYA figure is high, can I suggest you re do the test with a dilution, 50% pool water 50% tap water mixed and then double the result number. It looks like you'll need to drain around 50% of the pool water if the CYA figure is 100, if higher then a bit more or run with a free chlorine level of 7.5ppm minimum.
Currently 99.9% of your chlorine is bound to the CYA leaving insufficient to actually keep the water sanitised so you can counter that with an increase in the chlorine level. If you ran about 10ppm of chlorine it would help by very slowly reducing the CYA a little bit but definitely no packaged shock or pucks, just liquid or HTH chlorine.
candicem
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby candicem » Tue 30 Jul, 2019 17:44

Thanks! I am headed to a pool store tomorrow to have them test the water too.

I’m concerned about the CYA. If I did the high chlorine, then we wouldn’t be able to swim in it right?

What can cause high CYA?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 01:22

No you can still swim safely, the amount of active free chlorine would still lower than a commercial indoor pool without CYA in. Roughly speaking an indoor pool without CYA and Chlorine at 3ppm is nearly the same strength in sanitiser as an outside pool with 30ppm of chlorine and 30ppm of CYA. Biggest issue is trying to maintain the chlorine level.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 02:36

I second Teapot
A couple of comments
Your total chlorine can't be 1 as you have 4 FC,to get total you add CC to FC. I suspect you mean 5 TC
Your own testing will be more accurate than the pool store
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
All shock is chlorine and doesn't need doing regularly providing you have the correct chlorine level for your CYA Chlorine / CYA Chart
candicem
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby candicem » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 04:10

Thanks! This is helpful! For those products mentioned, what is aeration or how do I do that?
candicem
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby candicem » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 04:15

Was CYA something the previous owner added to the pool? I’m trying to wrap my head around this problem. Using more chlorine will cost me more money, so if it’s cheaper (and better) to do a partial drain and refill, I may choose that. When I read that article discussing chlorine to CYA, it almost seems like CYA was added, not naturally occurring. Am I correct here?

Will the CYA dissipate over time? If I go the higher chlorine route, will it slowly decrease so I’m able to reduce chlorine usage?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 05:33

candicem wrote:Was CYA something the previous owner added to the pool? I’m trying to wrap my head around this problem. Using more chlorine will cost me more money, so if it’s cheaper (and better) to do a partial drain and refill, I may choose that. When I read that article discussing chlorine to CYA, it almost seems like CYA was added, not naturally occurring. Am I correct here?

Will the CYA dissipate over time? If I go the higher chlorine route, will it slowly decrease so I’m able to reduce chlorine usage?

Stabilised chlorine has CYA in it
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
CYA will reduce over time (backwash and spillout) but partial drain and refill is better
Aeration is when you splash water or create bubbles in it
You could manufacture something like this Aerator,
I use a large pond aerator

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”