First Time Pool Owner- Sealed Main Drain

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
MarcoPolo24
I'm new here
I'm new here

First Time Pool Owner- Sealed Main Drain

Postby MarcoPolo24 » Sat 27 Jul, 2019 14:58

I recently bought a house in Fort Worth, TX that has a pool that was built in 1956. The pool is in good shape, uses a sand filter, but the problem is the main drain was sealed 30+ years ago. I just bought a Polaris P825 Cleaner to replace the old unit that came with the pool. My question is having a sealed main drain dangerous and need to be fixed? Also, is there anything I can do to help with the circulation/filtration and avoid having to do any major fixes to the the pool? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: First Time Pool Owner- Sealed Main Drain

Postby Teapot » Sun 28 Jul, 2019 01:44

Main drains do practically nothing to aid a pool running so do not worry. If you had to fix it the cost would be enormous and under current code you would have to fit two.
Leave well alone.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: First Time Pool Owner- Sealed Main Drain

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 28 Jul, 2019 01:51

Hi MarcoPolo24 and welcome
Forget about the sealed MD they are not dangerous and pretty useless anyway. It probably leaked and getting it work would have been virtually impossible
Nobody can advise on circulation without seeing what you have and any modification to the existing circulation could be a major fix
Are you having any problems with it now?

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”