Completely frustrated!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 13:23

The only comment I would add to the excellent advice that has been given is to always pour bleach or chlorinating liquid SLOWLY over a return (arm outstretched to not be right next to the wall) with the pump running. The liquid forms of chlorine are denser than water so dumping them in quickly can have them settle on the bottom if there is poor circulation as is typical in many above-ground pools that have no floor drain. Pouring slowly into a water stream helps ensure proper mixing.

Some people pour the chlorine into the skimmer, but if that is done then it also needs to be done very slowly as the chlorine is quite concentrated and should be done with the pump running. I prefer pouring over the return.

Richard

kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 16:01

Thank you so much for all of your help! :P I'm sorry about the confusion of the size of our pool. The box says 15' X 42" and 3,200 gallons on the side. I put the sock of stabilizer in the pool and added the bleach. Hopefully, it will fix the problem! I'll keep you posted!
kristalou
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby kristalou » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 16:12

Yeah!! I finally got all of my levels balanced and got to use the pool yahoo! You pool experts are awesome! Thank you so much!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:21

And it's all because you took the time to learn about your water and understand your test numbers. Looking back, it wasnt really that hard was it!

Now, just stay on top of it for a few minutes every couple of days and your pool wont have any more problems.

Congrats!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”