Acquired pool - first steps?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Acquired pool - first steps?

Postby AussieSwimmer » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 15:29

Hello everyone,

We've just moved into a home that has an existing in-ground pool. If I had to guess, it's around 15,000 gallons capacity. It appears to have been neglected for a minimum of 1 year. Currently frogs and leaves are co-existing in the existing residual water (aprox 20% pool capacity). I do notice that the plastic liner is beginning to separate from the attachment point just under the top of the wall.

For a total beginner, what would be a good starting point? Is it simply to turn the initial maintenance phase over to a commercial operation, or is there still space in the ramp-up process for a DIY effort? One thing that does occur to me is that I could start by gathering as much information on the system and each component as possible. This house was unoccupied for the 12 months leading up to our purchase, so it is probably impossible to have prior knowledge shared with us. Too bad.

All the best, and happy swimming! - Grant.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Acquired pool - first steps?

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 31 Mar, 2020 03:17

You can't always trust pool shop testing. Get some ascorbic acid powder online and pour over a stain
Here are some images of my iron staining before the AA treatment
Stain3.jpg
Stain3.jpg (56.36 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Stain4.jpg
Stain4.jpg (63.37 KiB) Viewed 264 times
Stain2.jpg
Stain2.jpg (43.39 KiB) Viewed 264 times

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”