What chemicals do I use?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Peckmond
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 12ft x 39 inch above ground pool
Filter Krystal Clear 530 Gal Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter Pump

What chemicals do I use?

Postby Peckmond » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 17:09

Hi all

I have just set up a 12ft x 39 inch intex above ground pool for the kids to enjoy whilst in lockdown. I also have an Intex Krystal Clear 530 Gal Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter Pump which I run 8 hours a day. I've added a floating chlorine dispenser with trichloroisocyanuric acid tablets and I also added sodium dichloroisocyanurate granules. Is that ok to do? Also I haven't shocked the pool as I'm not really sure how to or what chemicals to use for that. I got a pool starter kit which has ph+ and ph- and algae treatment and test strips along with the sodium dichloroisocyanurate. Do I just add the sodium dichloroisocyanurate to shock it? Sorry for the questions, I just want it safe for the kids (when the weather improves anyway!)

Thanks for your time and help in advance.

Cheers,

Peckmond.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: What chemicals do I use?

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 03:23

The tablets and granules add Cyanuric acid (CYA) which in excessive amounts render your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
A properly chlorinated pool doesn't need shocking
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Recommended Pool Levels
Peckmond
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peckmond » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 03:46

Thanks Denniswiseman,

I am even more confused now though. I tested my pool this morning and I'm showing 0 Chlorine, 7.2 PH and 40 Alkilinity. Do I have to empty the water from my pool and start again now I've added these chemicals? I never expected needing a chemistry degree to have a pool for the kids. I reckon I've got a week or so to get the water right before the weather improves enough for the kids to start hassling me. Also, what is TA?

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Peckmond.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 04:07

No check your CYA, if it is to high you may have to do a partial drain and refill (use a pool store but don't be pressured into buying)
TA is total alkalinity. pH seems fine, don't panic about alkalinity (TA)
Check out the links
Peckmond
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peckmond » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 04:26

I don't have anything currently to check CYA, don't you need CYA to protect your chlorine? I've only added 17g of Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate UN3077 Dihydrate & 1 trichloroisocyanuric acid tablet which is currently in the floater. Is there a kit you can buy which has everything included you can easily & safely use? I'm beginning to think my pool starter kit wont start my pool!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 06:30

You probably don't have enough CYA in yet to render your chlorine ineffective so use up what you have because you don't want zero free chlorine
Generally a pool store will check your water for free, which would be a start
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results
Peckmond
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peckmond » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 06:59

Sorry, I still don't understand. How do I get my chlorine levels up? I followed the instructions on the Sodium dichloroisocyanurate granules and for my pool volume it says to add 17g per day mixed in 10L of water. I also have a tablet in the floater. Am I OK to use both together? Should i also add the algae chemical to prevent algae or do i wait? my pool volume is 8592L (2270gal). Sorry for all the questions. I can't get to a pool store due to lockdown only online ordering.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 09:02

My calculation says it should 47g using Pool Maths
I suspect the 17g is for 1PPM
The only other thing it could be is algae eating up the chlorine
Attachments
Dichlor_weight.png
Dichlor_weight.png (17.79 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Peckmond
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peckmond » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 09:18

I saw that calculator but I couldn't fathom how to use it! Thanks for that. would the 17g daily be the amount to maintain it I wonder? If I add 47g would that shock it or just bring it up to what it should be? Would i then just leave the tablet in the floater for it to maintain the required level? Also, am I OK to use both types of chemical as they are both organic?

Would I have algae already as I only filled it up 3 days ago?

I really appreciate your help on all of this.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 09:34

Peckmond wrote:I saw that calculator but I couldn't fathom how to use it! Thanks for that. would the 17g daily be the amount to maintain it I wonder? If I add 47g would that shock it or just bring it up to what it should be? Would i then just leave the tablet in the floater for it to maintain the required level? Also, am I OK to use both types of chemical as they are both organic?

Would I have algae already as I only filled it up 3 days ago?

I really appreciate your help on all of this.

That 47 would only bring it up to 3 ppm, you can safely double it 90 to get going or if you need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) 16ppm
You can use them both but don't mix chemicals outside of the pool ( in a bucket)
Depending on your area algae can get a hold quite quickly
After you get your CYA up to the rquired level use plain bleach
Regular testing will let you know how much to add
Peckmond
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peckmond » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 09:58

Would just using 90 be acceptable then? i don't have necessary testing kit for slamming. if I can bring it up to 3ppm and maintain it would that suffice? I can throw in the algae treatment and PH+ or PH- too to get the correct levels on the stuff i can currently test. Can add the treatments one after the other or do i need to leave a few hours gap between each type of chemical?

i will get a test for the CYA, what sort of bleach do i use chemical/ingredient wise please? I also guess I use the calculator for this too?

Thanks again.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 10:10

I would go for the 90 which should give you 6ppm and maintain it at that
Don't use copper algaecide as the effects aren't always desirable. Use a Polyquat 60 (Any brand as long as the ingredients are "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.)
Ideally it's best to test after each addition so you don't over do it. That's also allowing it to mix
Put the 90g in now and test in a few hours or in the morning, which ever is convenient
Just plain bleach (no additives)
Peckmond
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Peckmond » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 10:42

Thanks again for all your help on this, I feel I've learnt something today. I'm clocking off work now so I'll go and play with the pool water.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”