HELP, SCALE/MINERAL WATER BLOCKAGE??

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
cookrd1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Kidney shaped, 24’x10’, salt water, cartridge filter, caretaker in-floor pool cleaners

HELP, SCALE/MINERAL WATER BLOCKAGE??

Postby cookrd1 » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 14:08

I have an in-ground salt water pool with a Caretaker in-floor cleaning system. Water flows from the pump to a cartridge filter, then to the chlorine cell and then to the Caretaker 5-port valve. On top of this valve is dome-shaped coarse screen. I am getting a lot of mineral buildup on this screen, significant enough to cause my in-floor cleaners to not work and trigger the no-flow alarm on my chlorine generator panel. This buildup almost looks like coarse, flaky salt. This happens in less than 8 hours - I am running pool motor and chlorine generator constantly after shocking my pool due to green algae two days ago. I had not noticed the chlorine generator was shut down due to no water flow. I tested the water with test strips and everything looks ok. What can I do about this and why is my cartridge filter not catching it? Not sure how to post a pic.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: HELP, SCALE/MINERAL WATER BLOCKAGE??

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 01 May, 2020 01:54

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
If you have algae then you need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
When slamming you shouldn't use your SWCG but liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) as the SWCG can't produce enough to get to your correct slam level
The build up could be salt or calcium, taste it, it won't hurt, you swim in it
cookrd1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Kidney shaped, 24’x10’, salt water, cartridge filter, caretaker in-floor pool cleaners

Re: HELP, SCALE/MINERAL WATER BLOCKAGE??

Postby cookrd1 » Fri 01 May, 2020 09:40

Thanks everyone. It is calcium. I have a lot of learning to do and will get a good test kit. Wish I found this site sooner.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”