First Time Pool Owner. Pool Start Up Help!!

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
taylorkautzman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Summer Waves Above Ground 24ft x 12ft x 52in Rectangle Above Ground Frame Swimming Pool. SFX1500 SkimmerPlus 110/120V filter pump.

First Time Pool Owner. Pool Start Up Help!!

Postby taylorkautzman » Mon 04 May, 2020 13:31

Thanks for reading! I am a first time pool owner and absolutely overwhelmed with where to start with starting up the pool after setup. This is the link to the pool we purchased: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Waves ... /110944510 , we are currently just doing the starting dirt work for it but plan to setup in the next week. It is a 24ft x 12ft x 52in Rectangle Above Ground Frame Swimming Pool Set. Includes the SFX1500 SkimmerPlus 110/120V filter pump. From what I've read on how to calculate how many gallons of water it will hold its going to be about 14,500 gallons. Please correct me if that is incorrect. Our local Fire Department will be bringing the fire truck to fill our pool up as we live in the country and have a water well that couldn't supply that large of an amount of water. I am LOST on what I need to start this pool up chemical wise. Is there a proper chemical start up kit for pools of this size? I have looked around but honestly I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. Any help would be SOOOO APPRECIATED :)

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: First Time Pool Owner. Pool Start Up Help!!

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 05 May, 2020 03:08

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

You will also need stablisor Cyanuric acid (CYA) which you can introduce with chlorine tabs/pucks with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Testing your water is very important so that you only put in chemicals you need

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”