Need some direction here super new to the pool world.

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
yob718
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36, inground pool, aqua rite chlorinator w/ T-15 cell, hayward C4025 swim clear filter, hayward super pump

Need some direction here super new to the pool world.

Postby yob718 » Mon 18 May, 2020 11:57

So first and foremost i’m new to the pool ownership. I am currently running a salt water chlorine generator (aquarite, t-15 cell) on my 18x36 pool, i opened the pool this past Wednesday shocked it and it did it’s job, added pool salt and levels were under the requirement ppms, Saturday I finally achieved the proper 2600min ppm salt level for the cell to start producing chlorine, the water appears to be clearing up slowly but I have tested the water and as follows these are my results.

Chlorine- is in the ideal range
Free Chlorine- Low
Total Alk- High
Ph- High
Cyn acid -ok

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the lack of knowledge.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Need some direction here super new to the pool world.

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 18 May, 2020 16:46

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
Lets have your numbers not ideal high low and ok. We also need your total chlorine so that we can work out your combined chlorine
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
yob718
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36, inground pool, aqua rite chlorinator w/ T-15 cell, hayward C4025 swim clear filter, hayward super pump

Postby yob718 » Mon 18 May, 2020 18:04

Thank you for your reply here are the numbers

FC:0
TC:3-5ppm
pH:8.4
TA:240
CH: 500
CYA:100

I used the aqua check strips for testing
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 19 May, 2020 07:07

Strips aren't very good and only give an indication
You need to reduce your CYA down to 70-80 by partial drain and refill as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart (were you previously using stabilised chlorine before your SWCG)
Your TA and pH can both be reduced by acid. This post on reducing high total alkalinity will help as will Pool Maths
We really need to know your FC to find out if you have combined chlorine

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”