New pool - need help. Mixed information

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Dbond
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Alberca above ground, 13x21, 9000 gal. 1hp single speed pump, multi-port valave sand filter.

New pool - need help. Mixed information

Postby Dbond » Fri 12 Jun, 2020 16:27

Hello, we just got a pool from a relative that moved and couldn't take it with them. It's an above ground Alberca 13x21, 9000 gal with single speed 1ho pump and multi-port valave. I have it set up, and filled it with water from the hose. I stopped into the local pool shop and shared this same info. I asked for everything I would need to get started. The guy there sold me a pool opening/closing kit and told me to follow the directions. I got home and the directions didn't say what to add first, it just gave a description of the products inside. An algicide, a shock, and a metal removing agent. Made by Poolife.

I spent about 6 hrs researching online, and got different information from several sites, videos, and even the pool store. Some say add the algicide first, some say add the shock first, some say add the metal removal agent while filling the pool, others say only use the algicide and metal agent when closing the pool. I've also heard; clean the pool first, and wait to clean it after you get your chemicals balanced.

Can someone assist with what I need to do to get started?

Here is what I've done so far:
Added the algicide and waited 2hrs. Then add the shock. These were both done in the evening, with the pump running, and continued to run throughout the night. I tested the water after about 15 hrs. Clorine level was just barely on the scale using the water drop test. Ph was at 7.4-7.6. I couldn't get an alkalinity reading.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: New pool - need help. Mixed information

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 13 Jun, 2020 04:49

You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day
Don't use copper algaecide as the effects aren't always desirable. Use a Polyquat 60
(Any brand as long as the ingredients are "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.)

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Shock is just chlorine add more
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Chlorine / CYA Chart and
Recommended Pool Levels
Just something to get started come back for more info
dbdbdb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, Sand Filter, Dolphin E10 cleaning robot

Postby dbdbdb » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 02:39

If you have just freshly filled the pool then all you need to do is balance the PH and add chlorine and stabilizer (or shock). You don't really need the algaecide and metal remover unless you have specific problems.

You should get a good test kit so that you are sure of your levels and how much to add.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dbond
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Alberca above ground, 13x21, 9000 gal. 1hp single speed pump, multi-port valave sand filter.

Postby Dbond » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 04:19

Thanks for the replys. I have the chlorine and pH at the recommended levels, however, according to my test kit, my alkalinity is around 350 ppm. Way above the recommended 80-120. After sticking my had in the water several times to collect water for testing, and letting my skin dry, it's left with a light white film on it, like a light layer of salt. That seams odd to me, as regular tap water shouldn't be that high in alkalinity.
dbdbdb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, Sand Filter, Dolphin E10 cleaning robot

Postby dbdbdb » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 10:01

That alkalinity does seem very high. What test kit are you using to get that figure?

Can you test a glass of water directly out the tap?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 15 Jun, 2020 10:24

dbdbdb wrote:That alkalinity does seem very high. What test kit are you using to get that figure?

Can you test a glass of water directly out the tap?

What "dbdbdb" says plus if this is your first fill then your source water TA must be high, is it well water?
With a high TA it will affect your pH
Recommended levels only work when you haven't added stabilisor (Cyanuric acid) then depending on your level of CYA you adjust your FC to suit

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”