Cal-Hypo vs. Dichlor for saltwater pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
XanderLo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' above ground, saltwater

Cal-Hypo vs. Dichlor for saltwater pool

Postby XanderLo » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 13:06

Hello,

I have been confused about the different types of shock treatments and whether or not they are harmful for the salt generator cell.
Big pool stores around here sell those relatively expensive "Salt Shock" bags that are Dichlor and apparently are suitable for the salt generator cell.

However, I have read nowhere on the internet that cal-hypo is bad for your cell. Additionally, some sites like poolcareguy explicitely state that cal-hypo is great for saltwater pools (although he mentions to turn off the generator). That makes it even more confusing!

Cal-Hypo does not contain stabilizer, is cheaper (here in Montreal at least) and is very fast and effective! I just don't want to destroy my cell. ;)

What do you experts think?
Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Cal-Hypo vs. Dichlor for saltwater pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 17:19

Shock is just a high dose of chlorine, forget all the snake oil potions. Just use your SWCG and top up if necessary with Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
XanderLo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' above ground, saltwater

Re: Cal-Hypo vs. Dichlor for saltwater pool

Postby XanderLo » Tue 28 Jul, 2020 10:31

Thanks for the reply, that's clear.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”