Pool maintenance (for beginners!)

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
ntw
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: home made backyard pool, 4 ft by 8 ft, 3.5 ft deep

Pool maintenance (for beginners!)

Postby ntw » Fri 31 Jul, 2020 22:16

I'm building a small above ground pool for my daughter for the summer. I'll save the construction questions for another thread and ask about maintenance here, as that's what worries me most (and that's the area new to me). The pool is 8ft by 4 ft and 4 feet deep. No pumping, just sanding water. This is a temporary pool that we'll use for 1-2 months. I'm new to pool maintenance and would love input on the following:
✓ I've read I should add chlorine, and I've got that covered but I've also read I need to add Algaecide, and should consider borax and bleach. would love to know more about this - When should I use these? How much? Why not just chlorine?

✓ resources re how to calculate how much chlorine to add given volume of pool?

✓ suggestions regarding pool water test kits vs strips?

✓ suggestions where to get a relatively cheap vinyl liner? I'm currently planning on doubling up two 16 mil tarps I have, but would love to use vinyl - as I assume this is waaaaay better than a poly tarp

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool maintenance (for beginners!)

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 01 Aug, 2020 02:50

It's not ideal not to filter water and if it's going to be re-used I would definately recommend it
Don't use copper algaecide as the effects aren't always desirable. Use a Polyquat 60
(Any brand as long as the ingredients are "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.)
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Use Pool Maths to calculate

Test strips are commonly called guess strips
You really need to get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100 in the states) to get accurate results as maintaining an appropiate shock level means testing quite often during the day

You probably won't want to buy a test kit as they are expensive and if the water gets to bad you will probably just dump it

Can't help with a liner
ntw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ntw » Sun 02 Aug, 2020 21:28

Thanks Dennis! I've been reading a lot online, but it really helps to hear from an expert in the field! A couple follow up questions:

- I have a cover and we'll only use the pool 1 hr or so per day though mid September. I was kinda hoping pumping water wasn't necessary and we'd just fish out any inorganic material and leaves, etc. I know not pumping is less than idea; but given our unusual setup, do you think not pumping though a filter is ok?

- I'm glad you said it ("guess strips") and I'm looking at getting this Tylor kit as it's very reasonably priced, which makes me wonder...why IS it so cheap compared to the others? Am I missing anything?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B ... 0DER&psc=1

Thanks, again!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 03 Aug, 2020 02:03

That will give you pH and chlorine which are more important
The only other thing is Cyanuric acid (stabilisor) which you can add through chlorine pucks
If the water gets out of control you can just dump it
ntw
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ntw » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 10:22

Thanks again, Dennis! can I use Algaecide 60 plus and Chlorine? or should I just use one? seems they do similar things.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 11 Aug, 2020 10:53

Use a Polyquat 60 (Any brand as long as the ingredients are "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.)
They will both fight algae but you need chlorine to disinfect the water
A properly chlorinated pool shouldn't need any algicide
ArthurHolo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground pool: 10x20, depth of around 5.5 feet, vinyl lined

Postby ArthurHolo » Tue 25 Aug, 2020 21:49

I've recently built mine and found out some useful tips that might be helpful for you:
- 3 main things are circulation, filtration, and sanitation. You must never forget about them
- the filter and the pump are very important components, so you need to buy a good one. sometimes it's better to consult your local pool expert or other pool owners as to what would be the best option for you
- you need to be ready to learn more about water and its chemical side
- the last but not least are vacuum and vacuum head (it was my pain because I bought a vacuum head not suitable for my pool. I just googled the best one and bought it. But after using it for a few weeks the surface was still dirty in the corners. I tried to use different chemicals, called a local expert but a friend of mine suggested me to use another vacuum head. So I bought a triangular-shaped head, and you know, it worked.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”