New above ground chemical help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Above ground 800 gallon Intex pool. Using 330ppg filter.

New above ground chemical help

Postby qcs » Fri 14 Aug, 2020 23:47

We purchased a very small 800gallon above ground pool (330gph filter pump) and we realized the 1" chlorine tabs ended up creating too high of a chlorine content (tethered swimming yesterday didn't seem right in the sinus area). We were using the "guess" strips, so we went to Leslies to get a test kit (we purchased Taylor K-1004) and have the water tested. Here is what it showed:

FC: 6.25
TC: 7.02
PH - 7.1
TA-66
CH-52
CYA-41
Iron-.1
Copper-.1
Phosphates: 937
TDS: 450

They suggested we add the following:
7oz Alkalinity up
1 oz Chlorine Neutralizer

Questions:
1. I messed up and added the chemicals back to back instead of waiting in between adding each....what does that cause?
(By the way totally my fault they told me to wait and I messed up).
2. Since I did that, Is it safe to go in the pool (if just siting in the water, not actually swimming)?
3. Is that really all we needed to do? Or is there more?

Should we just wait 24 hours and test with the new kit and post those numbers?

Any help for a newbie is appreciated! Oh and the point of the pool is for tethered swimming (and relaxing in floats) for an adult/s, no children will be playing in the pool on a regular basis.

Thanks for any and all advice as we learn!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: New above ground chemical help

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 02:02

With a CYA of 40 you need a minimum of 3 with a target of 5-7 and a shock level of 16 as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
Seeing as you can swim up to shock level you are fine

Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Continous use of Trichlor/Dichlor will raise your CYA which means you have to raise your chlorine level as well

Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

With a combined chlorine of 0.77 (TC-FC) you are getting close to a Slam (Shock Level and Maintain)

You really didn't need to do anything before and have been pool stored
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: UPDATE: New above ground chemical help

Postby qcs » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 15:26

Thanks, I was worried about that. I do have to say that after adding the chemicals the persistant "dirt" (kinda brown, rysty looking stuff that had small piles in the pool has cleared up.

it has been about 19hrs since adding chemicals to the pool and with my new test kit these are the numbers.

Free Chlorine - 2-4
CC- - 7
TC - 11
PH - 7.2
Alkalinity - 120ppm
CYA - test kit doesn't do this one (can't afford the expensive test kit.) I've ordered a separate test kit for this one.

Looks like everything is okay except the chlorine...not sure what to do for this? Free chlorine is supposed to be higher than the CC, correct? Since I don't know the CYA should I just wait and not add any chlorine to pool at the moment, the FC is good, so I'm not sure about next steps?
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 16:11

It's just a little pool (800 gallons), I primarily am the only user (tethered swimming and pool floating), do I really need to check CYA often or can I just take water to Leslies weekly or 1x mo and have it fully tested? Are they to be trusted to test correctly?
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Sat 15 Aug, 2020 23:04

ok now 22 hrs later everything is in balance except Chlorine. the free clorine is testing at 2-4 and the total is 4-6 so the values are closer but still slightly off. ill check again tomorrow afternoon (we are in a heat wave) and see how the chlorine is doing. Im hoping with just time and not adding anything it will come down a bit more. is that correct?

Temp here is 96 and pool temp was 88 today.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 16 Aug, 2020 03:42

Getting Leslies to test isn't the best, however it's better than guess strips
CYA is one of the most important part of your chemical balance ( did you read and checkout the previous post)
You can swim up to your current shock level for your CYA, so stop worrying about lowering it
With those chlorine guess strip numbers you really need to Slam (Shock Level and Maintain)
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 15:03

Okay, after reading your articles, the chart and more I am starting to understand the relationship between Chlorine and CYA. I have ordered a new test kit that includes CYA (Taylor - 2006) and I got liquid bleach. The only thing I do not understand is what the slam number actually means. The slam number for me is 16. What does that mean? Sorry, I know that the answer is really obvious, but for some reason I am having a mental block on what it means! Does it mean 16ppm? If so then what exactly do I do to accomplish that? I tried using the pool math app but can't get it to work properly, it won't let me add some of my numbers just leaves the field blank, so I have been unable to use it. My gut says I need to add about 32oz of liquid clorine if it was 100% chlorine? Am I on the right track here? I also know it's not 100% so I think I need to use the correct percentage to calculate it???????

CYA (Stabilizer) Minimum FC Target FC SLAM FC
40 3 5-7 16

Thanks for the help so far, I am learning a TON!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 16:06

Yes 16ppm
When you slam you have to bring the chlorine up to shock level and keep it there, testing quite often to maintain

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

Select US in the Units box or what ever you want to use
Put 800 in the Size box
Put 2.4 in the Now box
Put 16 in the Target box
Put the bleach/sodium hypochlorite concentration in the next of box and click calculate and the result will come up in the Add box
I've assumed 12% and it works out at 12 oz
Put the amount in and test after it's had time to mix
Bear in mind that liquid chlorine loses it's strength over a period of time
Forget about all the other untill you need to use them
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 16:37

Thank you, just enough info for me to figure it out now and for next time, thanks so much!!!!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 18 Aug, 2020 16:44

We all had to learn and if you can help others get round the myths and dogma, why not
BrandonMllr84
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Size and angle of convexity developed to obtain a panoramic view.
Treated to be resistant to chlorine fumes
Precise positioning system
Security reassurance for the general public
Simple and quick installation

Fitting for the exterior use: Mirrors are supplied complete with fully adjustable bolts and brackets kit in galvanised steel, for wall mounting or for posts 60 to 90 mm in diameter. Kit is robust, tested to withstand winds of up to 183 km/h.

Fitting for interior use: Each mirror is fitted for wall or post mounting.

Postby BrandonMllr84 » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 07:49

ok, now in 22 hours everything is in balance, except for chlorine. free chlorine tests at 2-4 and total is 4-6
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Thu 20 Aug, 2020 15:39

Hmmm...Like I told you I ordered the Taylor 2006 test kit but I got a Leslies Complete (FAS-DPD) Chlorine test kit instead (no 2006 anywhere on the label). Does anyone know if they are the same and if not how they are different? I've tried looking on the internet and can't find anything....
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 21 Aug, 2020 03:13

The only difference that I know between a Taylor K-2006 and a Taylor K-2006C is different reagent bottle size
It seems that Leslies have copied the Taylor. What is the expiry date on it
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Sun 30 Aug, 2020 18:45

Most of the bottle exp dates are 2022, but one is 2021. The powder is clumpy though and not pure white, more a dirty white and half empty..... Wondering if I should buy new powder...tried to mix it up to break the clumps down ,but still clumpy and doesn't completely mix into water.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 01:40

What reagent are you talking about R-0870
Mine goes a bit clumpy and doesn't completely mix
Try crushing it
You don't buy a pot full but a measured amount
Does it turn the sample pink

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”