New above ground chemical help

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Above ground 800 gallon Intex pool. Using 330ppg filter.

Re: New above ground chemical help

Postby qcs » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 22:32

yes the r-0870. the bottle/pot that came with the 2006 kit was only half full. the first two times i used it, it turned pink. now i get no color, but if I leave it and look hours later the water is pink? I shocked the pool, still no color after adding 4oz of liquid chlorine- so?

I was going to do a new post on this but for the life of me I cant figure out how to do a new post (which I've obviously done before!). I had two people look and they cant figure it out either so any help on this dumb question would also be appreciated!

qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 23:34

Yes the R-0870. the bottle/pot that came with the 2006 kit was only half full. the first two times i used it, it turned pink. now i get no color, but if I leave it and look hours later the water is pink? I added 4.1oz, still no color after adding 4oz of liquid chlorine- so, Okay, took the R-087 bottle and crushed it to get rid of as many clumps as I could, then I used it and got a pink result. Here are my numbers

FC .4
CC .4
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 34

Above ground vinyl 800 gallon pool.

We covered it for warmth and for the first time we have cloudy water, before that even with Chlorine and other issue we were dealing with the water was crystal clear with just brown stuff in the water. We have no got the brown stuff in the water and once we covered it we got clean but cloudy water.

I already added 4.1oz of liquid chlorine 128oz at 10% bleach chlorine) the last two days after getting chlorine numbers after the pool math told me to add that much chlorine. Per the pool math it says I should add another 3.7oz. But my question is I keep adding Chlorine and it's rising VERY slow.

So after thinking about what I have learned here I think it's shock time, so I looked at the chart and for my CYA, FC target, I think per what I have read here I need to shock the pool and add 6oz 5 tsp of Chlorine, correct?

Also, second question-
I was going to do a new post on this but for the life of me I cant figure out how to do a new post (which I've obviously done before!). I had two people look and they cant figure it out either so any help on this dumb question would also be appreciated!
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 23:36

Yes the R-0870. the bottle/pot that came with the 2006 kit was only half full. the first two times i used it, it turned pink. now i get no color, but if I leave it and look hours later the water is pink? I added 4.1oz, still no color after adding 4oz of liquid chlorine- so, Okay, took the R-087 bottle and crushed it to get rid of as many clumps as I could, then I used it and got a pink result. Here are my numbers

FC .4
CC .4
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 34

Above ground vinyl 800 gallon pool.

We covered it for warmth and for the first time we have cloudy water, before that even with Chlorine and other issue we were dealing with the water was crystal clear with just brown stuff in the water. We have now gotten the brown stuff in the water cleared and once we covered it we got clean but cloudy water.

I already added 4.1oz of liquid chlorine 128oz at 10% bleach chlorine) the last two days after getting chlorine numbers after the pool math told me to add that much chlorine. Per the pool math it says I should add another 3.7oz. But my question is I keep adding Chlorine and it's rising VERY slow.

So after thinking about what I have learned here I think it's shock time, so I looked at the chart and for my CYA, FC target, I think per what I have read here I need to shock the pool and add 6oz 5 tsp of Chlorine, correct?

Also, second question-
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 02:07

Click "Forums" top left
Click what forum you want
Click "NewTopic"
Your FC and CC are the same so add more chlorine untill you reach your Slam (Shock Level and Maintain) with relation to Chlorine / CYA Chart and Recommended Pool Levels
Bear in mind Liquid chlorine (Bleach) strength goes down over time and you may have to add more to get the same sanitation
Add more then test to check
You can safely swim up to your shock level for your CYA
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 00:15

Ive been shocking the pool per the CYA/Chlorine and Slam charts. Here are my current numbers after two days.
800 Gallon Vinyl above ground pool
FC 4.4
CC .6
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 34
I think I continue to shock with the Liquid Chlorine correct?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 02:07

With a CYA of 34 you need a slam level of 14 not your target of 4-6
When you think you are there do the overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT)
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 17:41

I've been using a CYA of 40 and using 16 as my target FC. Not sure where you got the 4-6.

We are heading in the correct direction though. The pool water is no longer a cloudy white, it is just not 100% clear yet, definitely no longer cloudy though. I also made a mistake and added water (accidentally too much) because I had to keep it above the outflow valve and then added chemicals without rechecking my CYA numbers, the info is below.

800 Gallon Vinyl above ground pool
Northern CA weather is 75-78 and will be until Saturday when it will warm up some

Yesterdays numbers
FC 4.4
CC .6
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 34

Todays numbers
7am - husband added 12oz liquid chlorine and some soap (submersible motor leaked oil in the pool)
12:00pm - CYA 40 FC 11.8 CC .6 added 4.3oz liquid chlorine Target FC is 16
02:45pm - CYA 30 FC 10.8 CC .4 added 5.30oz liquid Chlorine - per CYA of 40 because I forgot to test at that point and tested it afterwards.
If CYA was 30 I'm assuming I should have changed the target FC to 12 and added 1.2oz..is this correct? Do I use the new CYA during
Slamming?

I'll wait a few hours and retest the numbers and see where we are at. I'm moving forward assuming I use the new CYA number even though it changed during slamming. I assume we worry about the CYA number after slamming is done? Or do I worry that it's getting low now? I'll probably take it to Leslies to get an accurate CYA number since my test only goes to 30 and the water was over the top and I could still kinda see the dot.....???? Is there another way I can test? add water or something and double I think I read something like that somewhere?????

Also one last question - Since I added water, should I redo all the numbers again? I've just been checking the Chlorine during the slamming process....My other numbers have stayed very constant so far throughout the summer since I've gotten the full test kit.
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 20:54

Newest evening numbers and the last for tonight.
FC 11.4
CC .4
CYA 30
added 6oz Chlorine
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 01:15

Your CYA shouldn't change much unless you lose water, backwash or splashout
If you can still see the dot then you are under 30, the only time you add plain water is if your CYA is greater and you have to delete it to get a reading
You are correct that the slam level is 16
The target level is what you should try and maintain after slam is finished
Looking at your numbers it doesn't seem that you have reached the slam level of16 and maintained it
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 02:18

Im confused
We lost water and had to add it. The CYA changed to 30. Do I use the new CYA while in the process of slam or use the original CYA all the way through til the end of slam?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 03 Sep, 2020 03:08

You can use the new CYA but it won't hurt to keep it elevated
The only thing to bear in mind is you can swim up to the shock level. So if you're not swimming you can keep it elevated
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 20:45

Sorry, it's been a while. I'm using the Taylor 2006 kit. I was using the 25ml or .2 system, but realized that was crazy during slam so I have switched to the 10ml or .5 system to figure FC.

So I have been slamming the pool since 9/3 and have never reached the slam FC of 16. During the process I got new DPD powder reagent (made a difference), recalculated gallons in the pool and I was still unable to reach 16FC. I hit 15 once. I have added chlorine and tested again 30min later, no go, still usually at an average FC of 10.8 to 12.5.

Today I experimented, my FC was at 12, the pool math said to add 5.6oz so instead I added 6.2oz and 30 min later I got an FC of 15. ?That said here are the other parameters that can be effecting it...

We are in Northern CA, the fires caused a lot of smoke and not much sun for part of the time.
I swim almost daily - thats important because I tether swim and loose water daily from waves created during the swim. We tend to add about 1" of new water about every 3-7 days so this is pushing my CYA down. How often should I be testing CYA during SLAM vs regularly?

The pool has gone from cloudy to clear and now sparkling crystal clear and I have met all the parameters to complete the SLAM with the exception of the FC number. Because my CYA dropped during the slam and is now too low, I'm going to assume the slam is done and let the chlorine level drop and increase the CYA (it has fallen below 20) and watch closely to see what happens,.

One last question? Since we regularly top off the water, what is the easiest and safest way (product suggestions?) to add CYA to a vinyl above ground pool. I am not sure I want to deal with adding acid regularly to the pool....

I forgot to add current numbers
at 9:30am
FC-15

at 12:00pm
FC-10
CC-.5
PH->8
Alk-130
Cal Hardness-120-130 (2 drops dropped together)
CYA <20

My take away
Step 1-decrease PH ( I have this product? Leisure Time Spa Down)
Step 2 - Buy product to increase CYA, use tablets in the meantime since I have them
Step 3- keep the chlorine up til CYA is balanced, then let it fall to normal levels
*test daily- adjust numbers as needed-shock again once numbers for CYA and PH are balanced to see if I can get it up to the correct FC ppm per the current CYA.

Am I on the correct track here?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 20 Sep, 2020 01:57

I always use the 10ml sample
Step 1 Yes decrease your pH but only down to about 7.4 (don't overdo it on the first go)
Step 2 Yes use up the tabs or keep them for when you are away and aren't able to chlorinate. Buy stabiliser powder (CYA) put in a sock and hang over a return
Step 3 No need to elevate your chlorine if you are there. CYA should be easily reached with CYA powder (but again don't overdo it on the first go)
Regular testing will soon get you where you need to be and you will know what to add. No need to shock again
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
qcs
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby qcs » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 21:45

Thanks!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”