Flow optimization, plumbing question

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Flow optimization, plumbing question

Postby Mike_Snoo » Mon 31 Aug, 2020 18:42

Hi,

I want to optimize flow in my pool pump area. Who ever build that pool, did a terrible job. I am starting with a question about the suction lines. I have 4 lines coming from the pool:

Main drain
Skimmer
Cleaner Robot
Jacuzzi

All of them come right out of the ground. Main drain, Skimmer and Cleaner robot have a valve to be closed/open individually. Jacuzzi is controlled over another valve. What I don´t like is that water always has to make a 90 degree turn in the valve. I would like to remove the 3 way valve and get a 2 way valve for the Jacuzzi line as well. Then connect the 2 center lines with a tee and the 1 outside with a PCV Sweep 90 degree elbow and on the other side add one or 2 90 degrees and connect the pool pump. This would also result in a 90 degree turn of the current pool pump orientation and would be better, since it is more under the roof overhang.

What would you suggest?
Attachments
Suction.jpg
Suction.jpg (102.4 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Flow new.jpg
Flow new.jpg (147.24 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Flow old.jpg
Flow old.jpg (132.63 KiB) Viewed 588 times

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Flow optimization, plumbing question

Postby Teapot » Tue 01 Sep, 2020 21:34

Hi Mike, I suppose it comes down to your interpretation of flow optimization. What is the current flow, if you don't know then beg, borrow or whatever flow meter to establish your start point. For me your turnover should be every 6 hours and pump run 24h to facilitate 4 turn overs per day and on a 20,000 gallon pool that should be 3,300 gallons per hour. The slower the flow the better the filtration. If you can achieve that flow and wind down the pump you"ll save money and have a much better water quality. Yes do away with as many 90 degree knuckle bends and replace with flow bends or 2 x 45 degree bends. You'll be on the top limit for efficient flow in 1.5" pipe, 2" would be better and get rid of the multiport in favour of a slide valve or a Jandy never lube backwash valve. I use a number of proper Y fittings for better flow with slide valves (Valterra) to shut off. Not sure what the stated flow is for your filter but in efficiency terms halve whatever the manufacturer states, that could mean adding a second filter.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 07:35

Dang.. I just bought a "flow optimized" new multiport. I didn't even know that there was this Jandy never lube backwash valve. I have to see if that is available for my pentair DE filter.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Wed 02 Sep, 2020 12:44

Some more information: I have a 10.000 gallon pool with a 1.500 gallon jacuzzi. I bought a https://www.blue-white.com/blue-white-p ... e-acrylic/ flow meter, but need to install that. I wasn't planning on installing it before I make changed at the pluming, but I think I changed my mind and will install it over the weekend.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”