Too early?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
mhibby28
I'm new here
I'm new here

Too early?

Postby mhibby28 » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 09:04

I just bought a house over the winter. Upstate NY, that has a pool. This will be my first pool so I'm sure I'll have more technical questions as time goes on. For now, a very basic question... is it too early to fill it back up and get the pump and everything connected? My neighbor told me the previous owner closed the pool very early last summer / fall and now it looks like algae is already taking off. The ice just melted off it a couple weeks ago and its already green. I'd like to start treatment but I think I need everything circulating don't I? Or, is it possible to treat it stagnant? I'm just not sure if its safe to do that now or not, it can still get cold here for another month or so, even though its been beautiful lately.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Too early?

Postby Teapot » Fri 09 Apr, 2021 14:54

Ok my suggestion is to get a decent test kit and not dip strips. That will save you hundreds as you wont have to listen to the pool store, pool stores know how to tap into your wallet beware!
Get some liquid chlorine in the pool! You havent told us the size of the pool so for starters add 2 gallons of liquid chlorine, this will begin to kill the algae and bide you time. The water will turn cloudy blue grey after the chlorine, a sign its working. The chlorine will get used up quite quickly at first so youll need to add some more, meanwhile get a test kit.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”