when to add chemicals on semi-installed above ground pool

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
chopsuli
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16' round above ground pool

when to add chemicals on semi-installed above ground pool

Postby chopsuli » Fri 16 Apr, 2021 17:38

Hi. Last week I had 16' round above ground pool installed with water (approx 6k gallons). I also purchased a heater and oxygen system. Today the electrician started to run the pipe but have to come back to finish the electrical. He gave me an adapter to plug in and an extension cord to run the motor/filter. Next week the gas guy will run the gas line and the electrician to come back to finish the electrical install. I live in Northern Illinois so its too early to get in and swim as the nights will be in 30s and 40s for next 10 days. My concern is how long the water can sit without chemicals before algae growth? Currently I have the motor and filter running with no chemicals. With extension cord the motor should be run at max of 4 hours as I don't want to hurt or burn it out. Can the water really sit for 14 days without any issues?

Some other thoughts: There is no reason to add oxygen chemicals as I won't be using it anytime soon. Also the oxygen brochure says to run it for 48 hours on first application. I can't do that with extension cord.
Do I add the shock or shock, chlorine tabs and algaecide combo (pool came with a start up kit) now until the electrical is complete and I can run the oxygen system? I know to dilute them in a separate bucket of water and then throw in the pool. Since I bought an oxygen system I did not buy a chlorine floater.

Btw, I read all the brochures. The skimmer brochure said to not put in chlorine tabs in it as it may damage. But the start up kit said to put chlorine in the skimmer. This contradict each other. Thanks

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: when to add chemicals on semi-installed above ground pool

Postby Teapot » Sat 17 Apr, 2021 03:26

Add chlorine tab into a floating dispenser.
If you put it in the skimmer when the pump is off it will continue to dissolve and these are very acidic so will attack the skimmer, the plumbing and the pump.
Pool industry wants you to damage stuff so you buy more and keep the pool guys employed.
Oxygen system? What have you bought? Dont install it untill you tell us then you could either return it for a refund or if not sell it on to some other sucker.
Chlorine is a great algaecide so you dont need the other, just keep the tabs going for a few weeks then switch to liquid chlorine. Buy a decent test kit and not dip strips.
Chlorine will be used up quicker burning out the algaecide so youll buy more chlorine, another little trick of the industry.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”