Please help! Pool leaking, liner ordered, how long can we let it leak?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
robn1972
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 26000 inground vinyl liner

Please help! Pool leaking, liner ordered, how long can we let it leak?

Postby robn1972 » Thu 06 May, 2021 11:47

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me sleep better at night. Our situation is we have a bad vinyl liner in our 26000 inground pool that at my best guess is 20+ years old. (Came with the house we bought 3 years ago) We have ordered a new liner but are looking at 3-4 weeks before it will be installed. We have already had a diver swim around and patch, and his work held for about 5 days, but the water is coming down again at the rate of 2-3 inches a day. The diver told me the patch would not last, so I'm not surprised, but I was hoping it would have held up for another week or two.

So at this point, we're losing hundreds of gallons (or more) a day. The water bill is the least of my concern and I'm fine with paying what it costs to keep it full for a few weeks. I just don't want to cause serious damage to the structure/ foundation. I've done a little reading and am seeing that LONG TERM leaking can definitely destroy pools, however there was no definition of what LONG TERM means.

If running as we are for a month or so will only be a matter of a high water bill and some extra money on chemicals, I can live with that. If I am risking damaging or destroying the structure of the pool, what are my options? I understand draining the pool completely is potentially dangerous as well.

What is the best thing to do while I wait for the new liner? Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Please help! Pool leaking, liner ordered, how long can we let it leak?

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 06 May, 2021 14:38

Draining a pool is dependant on it's construction, however if hydrostatic lifting is the problem then when the pool water reaches the same level as the groundwater it will stop

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”