Startup without heater running

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
DianneN
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, hayward pump/filter, aquacal heat pump

Startup without heater running

Postby DianneN » Thu 03 Jun, 2021 22:43

I’m a brand new pool owner so I’m going to apologize for my forthcoming stupid questions and thank all of you seasoned experts in advance for your help. I’ve wanted a pool for 20 years and now that I have it I’m downright scared of whether or not I can handle it. There is so much to learn!!!

As of now I have almost everything plumbed and installed. I need to add two more shutoffs because I think the guy put the unions on the wrong side and my heat pump doesn’t have electrical connected yet. It’s plumbed into the system but not powered up. Anyway, I’d like to start the filter for the first time but I’m not sure if that’s safe to do with the heater in-line but not powered up. Will it pass water with no issues in the off state? I don’t want to break it just out of the gate.

Thanks again so much. I’m sure I’m going to need a lot of help as I learn all of this!!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Startup without heater running

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 04 Jun, 2021 01:45

Water will flow through a heat pump while it is not working. Heat pumps turn off when they reach the desired temperature but continue to circulate water through them (how will they know it's time to turn back on)
DianneN
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground, hayward pump/filter, aquacal heat pump

Re: Startup without heater running

Postby DianneN » Fri 04 Jun, 2021 04:48

Thanks so much for the fast help with this answer! I've been up all night worrying about this. I'm not sure if my previous thanks came through, I was working off my phone before.

I guess I was worried that without having electrical hooked up, it can't do any "thinking". It makes sense though that there would be no need to constrict water flow ever. It's great news!

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”