Converting from salt to chlorine(chemical)

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Mdmike
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24x24 above ground salt pool

Converting from salt to chlorine(chemical)

Postby Mdmike » Mon 09 Aug, 2021 09:58

Ok folks! Been a real struggle with my first new to me pool when I bought my house. Some back story the previous owner is my neighbor and he gave me his run down of how he took care of the pool and no matter what the algae always comes back and levels are outta wack. Don’t believe he maintained it correctly, said he never cleaned the salt cell and the salt cell error code has been on from day 1. So I cleaned the salt cell multiple times and the code stayed off for a short amount of time then came back on. I’ve determined the cell is bad or the whole system/generator etc. My question is because there’s only a few weeks left or less until pool season will be finished can I make my pool a chemical pool for the remainder? I’ve heard I need to get the salt levels down first, currently around 2000 ppm. What is the minimum I should get the salt level down before adding chlorine etc? Also planning on leaving the salt cell piping etc for the rest of the season and then eithan either replacing pipe or buying new cell/generator etc next season. Please help!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Converting from salt to chlorine(chemical)

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 09 Aug, 2021 15:10

A salt water pool is a chlorine pool
The chlorine is generated by the cell with a certain amount of salt in the water
Some people supplement the SWCG with additional chlorine
Sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach will do and all it adds is salt
So just add what ever chlorine you need and don't worry about the salt level which will be there when your SWCG is working again
Julia Ivanova
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In-ground salt pool 12 x 24 ft, AD 5.5 ft, tile finish

Postby Julia Ivanova » Wed 27 Oct, 2021 08:15

I think the problem is that the previous owner didn't look after the pool, beacuse you need to clean your salt cell once or twice per season, and you said that he never did it. And also do you know how old salt cell is? I have read, that it needs to be replaced it about every five years, so maybe it's time.

Anyway if you need to make a switch you need to drain a portion of your pool’s water to lower the cyanuric acid (CYA) levels to 40 ppm. And about the leftover salt in your pool water, it won't pose a danger to equipment, because without the cell, the salt will be relatively harmless. Besides, after you have purged water to lower your CYA, your pool water’s salinity level will be much lower, so no worries.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 27 Oct, 2021 11:53

Julia Ivanova wrote:I might be wrong, but I would not advise switching to the chlorine pool, because with them you will need to constantly add sanitizer. While with salt pool systems, algae infestations don’t generally occur, because it automatically provides consistent sanitation.

I think the problem is that the previous owner didn't look after the pool, beacuse you need to clean your salt cell once or twice per season, and you said that he never did it. And also do you know how old salt cell is? I have read, that it needs to be replaced it about every five years, so maybe it's time.

Anyway if you need to make a switch you need to drain a portion of your pool’s water to lower the cyanuric acid (CYA) levels to 40 ppm. And about the leftover salt in your pool water, it won't pose a danger to equipment, because without the cell, the salt will be relatively harmless. Besides, after you have purged water to lower your CYA, your pool water’s salinity level will be much lower, so no worries.

Providing the SWCG is large enough to sanitise your pool
Their output is rated 24/7 at 100%

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”