CYA going down by itself. How is this possible?

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Tabaan
I'm new here
I'm new here

CYA going down by itself. How is this possible?

Postby Tabaan » Sat 14 Aug, 2021 12:08

Hi!

I have a quick question, I am left a little confused.

I have a new pool, 15 000 gallon inground, opened it in May.
It's been fantastic, no issues (I opened in in May).
We use stabilized chlorine sticks in the skimmer (have a UV-system as well). Weekly visits from a very reputable pool company.

In early June the CYA was a bit high (85) and I assumed this would get worse with each chlorine stick added and planned a partial drain.
I add 1 stabilized chlorine stick every week, and the pool guys shock every other week. Pool is crystal clear, always.

The pool guys also take a water sample every week.

Now, after three months of daily use the CYA level is....67? Down from 85. I was expecting it to be in the hundreds.
How is that even possible?

I know CYA does not evaporate.
I do lose quite a bit of water due to heavy use/kids splashing too. I add about 2-3" of fresh water every week.
The pool lab tells me this must be why CYA is down, that I end up topping up with more fresh water than stabilizer. Does that make sense to you guys, anyone have similar experiences?

Oh and there are no leaks. If I leave the pool covered the water level doesn't drop at all for days.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: CYA going down by itself. How is this possible?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 15 Aug, 2021 09:40

2-3" of fresh water every week is a partial drain and refill. If you are happy with the cost of the water, you've solved your CYA problem

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”